Does Scar Tissue Develop over Juvederm

I had juvederm in my nose under a month after Rhinoplasty to correct a dip where scar tissue hadnt formed correctly. My Plastic surgeon said hopefully scar tissue would grow over the juvederm and become permenant? Is this actually possible?

Juvederm can cause collagen formation

+3

The body can create new collagen as a result to the injection whether Juvederm is placed or not. The amount of collagen may be minimal but may be sufficient to help lift an area. Other times, there is long term improvement with one or two of such treatments as the subcision, or needle injection, severs adhesions holding down the skin and lifts up the depression.  Restylane or Juvederm injected at the time can help keep the skin lifted and the collagen bands may not reform holding the skin down. New collagen orietned horizontally may help hold up the skin and make the depression look better.

Scar tissue forming after Juvaderm injecitons is probably due to the needle

+1

Scar tissue forming after Juvaderm injecitons is probably due to the needle. Repeated needle insertions whether a part of Juvaderm filling or other reasons will result in formationof scar tissue (collagen formation).

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Juvederm is not permanent

+1

Injectable fillers, such as Juvederm or Restylane, are temporary fillers.  There can be a very mild increase in collagen production from the needle entering the tissue, however, this is unlikely able to provide the amount of volume you likely need.  It would be so minor you likely would never see it. 

Dr. Grant Stevens      

Grant Stevens, MD

No scar tissue from juvederm

+1

Juvederm does not cause any scar tissue formation. It is possible that your surgeon was referring to scar tissue building up in the nasal tissues, and that the Juvederm could provide a temporary solution during the healing period. There are two things I would like to mention: One, one month is far too early to make a determination about a final rhinoplasty result. Unfortunately, this does require a lot of patience. Often patients will see asymmetries improve (and sometimes worsen) during this extended healing period. And secondly, while I am very conservative when it comes to injecting the nose following a rhinoplasty, I think that I would consider waiting a longer period before considering an injection. This is just my opinion.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm to make scar

+1

It's unlikely Juvederm would create scar tissue.  In fact the product is slowly absorbed over 4-6 months.  However, Juvederm is a great filler for depressions so it may help with the depressed area.  However, you may need to go back for repeat treatments to have lasting results.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Juvederm treatments heal without scars

+1

Juvederm is injected with tiny needles. There is no scar tissue expected after a Juvederm treatment. 

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler and scar tissue

+1

Fillers like juvederm are hyaluronic acid products that may indeed promote some collagen ingrowth, but I would not rely on the collagen to provide enough volume.

Does Scar Tissue Develop over Juvederm

+1

Yes it can, however you might consider Radiesse as a longer term solution.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Juvederm can Stimulate Collagen Production

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane have been shown to stimulate the production of collagen  which can lead to longer lasting results. However, these results are still temporary. Over the years, repeated injections of Juvederm can lead to increased collagen formation and give you longer and longer lasting results. It's certainly a much simpler solution to fixing the problem than having additional surgery.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar tissue will not form with Juviderm.

+1
Scar tissue will notfprm with juviderm. Wait at least 9 months and if it still there have a revision with a permanent cartilage graft.