"Scar Tissue Bump" is It Permanent or Will It Go Away? (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty April 16, 2011. A bump has formed on the bridge of my nose. My doctor say's it's scar tissue and it's so noticeable because I'm thin. I got a steroid injection at my last visit, but it didn't seem to help. Will this go away, or is it permanent? You can't see it in a picture taken in May of 2011. When he massages it, it will go down for the rest of the day, and then come back the next day.

"Scar Tissue Bump" 10 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

10 months after surgery it is unlikely that this is just swelling. Although I haven't examined you it is probably secondary to an elevation of the underlying bone or cartilage. It can be removed with a relatively easy procedure which you may choose to have done under local anesthesia.

Rsidual bump

+1

At ten months you are nearing the point where swelling has dissipated.  Most likely it is a small bump of bone or cartilage. This may require a simple procedure to shave it down inthe operating room.

"Scar Tissue Bump" is It Permanent or Will It Go Away?

+1

Thanks for the photo. Doubt this is only scar tissue as you state. Looks as if there is residual bone or cartilage. You need in person examination. 

Depending on your examination, the bump on your nose may be improved with a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty treatment.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photos:

Your photo from 5/11 does not show this irregularity since you're still swollen 1 month post-rhinoplasty. Now that you're 10 months post-op, nearly all of the swelling in your bridge is gone, and we may be seeing an irregularity of your underlying cartilage or bone. You appear to have thin skin, so even small irregularities could be visible in your nose. I would not suggest more steroid injections as this can lead to further thinning of your skin.

You may benefit from a second opinion from a reputable rhinoplasty surgeon to confirm the cause of this bump, since it may not be "scar tissue".

I can't be certain without seeing you, but you appear to have an indentation below your "bump". A carefully placed Injectable Filler might help improve this appearance. My personal preference is to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon