Scar Tissue Build-Up After Revision Rhinoplasty

After my initial rhinoplasty 18 months ago, I had revision rhinoplasty to reduce scar tissue on the right side of my nose. It has been 5 weeks (and one steriod injection) later and the results are terrible. I have more scar tissue build up and it looks like the other side of my nose has collapsed. I'm distraught and have no idea what to do. My surgeon suggests massage and steriod injections and says that the scar tissue will soften after time. Is there any hope? Please help.

Early rhinoplasty results

+1

Unfortunately you have collapse on the left side as well as right-sided alar retraction.  It is unlikely that these will respond to steroids and/or massage

Scar Tissue after Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I am more concerned about the collapse of the left side of your tip than I am about the scar tissue. Grafts will probably be necessary to to support the left side. Ask your surgeon to explain the problem and what should be done now and longterm.

Nasal collapse after revision rhinoplasty

+1

It does appear that you have some collapse of the left side of your nasal tip. This can occur when the cartilage in the area doesn't have a normal straight or convex shape. This cartilage can become concave due to weakening (ie, cartilage excision) and/or scar contracture.

Revision rhinoplasty can be performed to return the cartilage to a more normal orientation and strength. I typically use septal or rib cartilage for this purpose.

Consulting with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon would allow for a better assessment of your options.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Nasal collapse

+1

Nasal collapse is due to lack of support of the important structure for breathing.  As for scar tissue I can not really comment without an evaluation.

+1

It appears from your pictures, that you indeed have some collapse. This is not a problem of scar tissue build up but a problem with support. If too much cartilage was removed, or the cartilage is in the wrong position the result will be a collapsed and piched structure.

If this is the case then steroid injections will not help, and they can also harm your skin. The treatment for this would be to use cartilage from your ear or the septum to re-build the loss of support.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon