Scar Tissue After Primary Rhinoplasty?

hello i had an open primary rhinoplasty 5 months ago and the right side of my nose is either swollen or has scar tissue. had a kenalog injection 7 days ago and have yet to see a difference yet. how long will it take to make a difference? if it is scar tissue and not swelling, will the injections dissolve/flatten the scar tissue? thanks

Scar Tissue After Rhinoplasty

+1

Kenalog injections do take a few weeks for it to take effect and occasionally need to be repeated. What needs to be determined is whether or not the swelling you are seeing is true swelling or the cartilage/bone of your nose.  Steroid injections can help with the former but not the latter. Your surgeon would be best able to answer that question.

Scar Tissue after Rhinoplasty

+1

Kenalog injections can help to reduce scar tissue. If successful you should see some improvement within about 3 weeks. Without pictures or an examination it is  it is impossible to determent the cause of your abnormal contour. If this is secondary to the position of the underlying bone or cartilage a revision may be necessary. Wait another 4-6 months to see your final result.

Kenalog Injections after Rhinoplasty

+1

Kenalog which is a type of steroid injection is used by some surgeons to help with scar tissue and to help reduce swelling. Five months post surgery you may still have some swelling  which is causing asymmetry. I personally do not use steroid injections very often and most patients who have any prolonged swelling typically heal fine as the swelling naturally dissipates over the next few months. Some patients who have extremely thick skin may take longer to heal then other patients. I would discuss your questions and concerns with your surgeon as a direct examination is needed to provide a proper diagnosis and answer. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD