Scar Tissue After Lip Picking? (photo)

How can I get rid of the scar tissue that I got after I picked my lip continously for a couple of weeks? The scar is white and not flat. Is there anything I can do to get my old smooth lip back?

Lip scars can be improved with scar surgery

+1

This hypopigmented scar on the lower lip may benefit from scar excision and layered closure to remove the white scar and restore normal lip contour.

Scar Tissue After Lip Picking?

+1

The first requirement for improvement would be that you're not picking at this area any longer. Any attempt to improve this would be thwarted by any continuing trauma. Dr. Kaplan has outlined two good options for you. I would only add that it some cases the scar tissue can be removed either with a small excision or by shaving off the raised portion of the scar tissue. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to get Rid of Scar Tissue

+1

Hi Poorlips.  We would consider 2 different options.  The first is a steroid injection called Kenalog.  This is used on hard tissue scars to soften and flatten them.

The second option would be a hyfrecator.  This is a small device that is used like an electrified pen.  It has a small metal tip and is used to cauterize skin tissue.  

Both are good options.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD