Scar Tissue After a Breast Lift. I have heard that massaging may help soften the tissue, I don't know what to do.

Hi, I had an implant removal and a breast lift two months ago. I have a lot of scar tissue inside my breast I was wondering if there is anything that I can do to soften the scar tissue inside my breast. My PS told me not to massage my breast because it will develop more scar tissue.

Scar Tissue After a Breast Lift

+1

Hi there,
Without knowing a few more details about your case it is difficult to say for sure.  Your plastic surgeon does know about your case so I would imagine he/she has a reason for this recommendation. In most cases, I do typically recommend post-procedure massage to disperse excess fluid and promote circulation. It’s also particularly important to remember to wear the appropriate supportive undergarments and use a topical scar treatment to alleviate excess tension on your incisions and minimize the appearance of raised scars developing during healing.

Scar tissue after implant removal

+1

Hi Samantha,

If I'm reading your question correctly, the 'scar tissue inside' your breasts are  the capsules left behind from having implants. I'm also assuming that you did not have your implants replaced-right? If this is so, it is not uncommon to leave that capsule behind after implant removal. I am willing to guess that your surgeon might have used those capsules to help reposition your breast mound when he performed your lift. In which case he is right not to massage. But if you only had a crescent lift, then I would not see the harm in massaging. Bottom line, follow what your surgeon recommended since he is the only one who knows what's going on. You don't want to take advice from a third party who doesn't know you, your surgical history or what procedure/technique your surgeon used. I really do hope this helps you. Kind regards Dr H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue after breast lift

+1

Any surgery will produce scar tissue in the operated area, and this is also true of breast lift surgery. Changes occur over time which change the quality of the scar tissue, and as a result the scar usually softens over several months. Tissue massage and external ultrasound may be beneficial as scar therapy. However, you should follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations and discuss any treatment with him/her before proceeding.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Scar Tissue After a Breast Lift.

+1

Because your surgeon of record has "told" you no massages than you should follow that advise. I, personally, do not agree. I recommend lymphatic massages, external ultrasound therapy. 

Scar tissue with breast lift

+1

I usually recommend massage to help the capsule (or scar tissue around the breast) stay soft or more to the point to stretch it so that the pocket is slightly larger than the implant thereby allowing the implant to move around.  If what you are feeling is just scar tissue under your actual incisions then you can expect that to soften over time on its own.  If you are referring to development of a hard capsule (firmness around the entire implant, limited motion and often asymmetry with the other side) then you need to massage and maybe even take medication for it.  This can also lead to more surgery but 2 months is too early to tell.  Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Scar Tissue after Breast Lift

+1

It takes time after surgery for things to heal. I do recommend massage to soften things up for my patients. Keep in close communication with your surgeon so that he/she may take you through the recovery process and address any concerns that may come up.