Will I Scar from closed cut on the side of my nose?

Hello. I have a closed cut on the side of my nose(about 1.5 cm long)that had 5 stitches. It's only about 2 weeks old. I'm trying to lessen scarring as much as I can by using kelocote along with polyurethane strips. There is still a lot of redness but no swelling, and it does not seem infected. How well does the skin on the outer and side part of the nose heal? How long will it take for the redness to dissipate and the wound to blend in with my skin?

Scar healing and maturation is a process

+2

The natural history of scar healing is well known and chronicled. For most adults, a nose scar will take about nine months to a year until it is fully mature. This means there will be a period of time when it becomes more red(first three months), the redness begins to fade (three to six months), and the color eventually fades to a more uniform white. (six to twelve months) With your good topical scar treatment approach and its sidewall nasal location, this scar maturation process will likely be expedited.

Scar reduction tips for the nose

+1

Dear Alpine, If you have any question about the redness around your incision,  a followup with your surgeon is advised.  If this was closed in an emergency room, seek the services of a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon in your area.  

Depending on the cause of your cut, you may have other factors (foreign bodies, retained sutures, etc) that are contributing to the redness.  

While you await your scar's healing and maturing, please concentrate on protecting the scar from the sun by using a UVA/UVB sunscreen every morning and reapplying every 2-4 hours (it evaporates and loses it potency) while you are exposed to the sun. (even on cloudy days). 

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon