Scar Revision for 5 Year Old Large Scar on Right Cheek

The scar gets red at certain times and looks pretty bad at other times it does not get so red.It is also depressed and the stitch marks are apparent.Have been to numerous dermatologists in the NYC area who have tried lasers, none have helped.I desire to see a competent plastic surgeon.I have gotten mixed responses from the three that I have seen and am completely confused.Some say a revision scar will infact be longer others smaller.

Scar revision

+2

It's very difficult to say without a physical exam.  Sometimes scar revision is not a "sure thing."  It can be tricky to really know if it will help without actually doing it.  I would go in for another consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon for yet another opinion.  It can't hurt!  Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Cheek Scar Revision Options

+1

Hi salz in Manhattan, 

Scars on the face may occur from trauma, burns, acne, or surgery. Scars, regardless of location, can never be completely removed, but rather improved in appearance to become less noticeable. Scar treatment may include resurfacing the skin with dermabrasion, laser treatment, or chemical peels. Steroid injections occasionally help soften, shrink, or improve scars. Depressed scars may be filled to plump them up. Lastly, scars may be camouflaged with plastic surgery to reorient or break-up the scar. Scar plastic surgery may make the scar longer, but less noticeable.

Scar treatment is based on several variables, including the location, duration, size, and etiology of the scar. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision

+1

You must be very careful about searching for a fix for your scar. Often times, scar revision can make a scar worse than it is currently. I would suggest you discuss realistic outcomes with a plastic surgeon with expertise in this area.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon