Scar Revision to Remove Vertical Scar?

I have a large vertical scar from a bowel resection I had in '07. My stomach also caves in in that area. Would a scar revision surgery make the scar less noticeable and leveled? Or should I have a different type of cosmetic surgery? How much would it cost? also I'm 18 so would you recommend waiting a few years or is it ok to get it done now? Thank you for your imput!!

Vertical Tummy Scar Revision with Laser Liposuction is your best option.

+1

Your vertical tummy scar certainly can be revised. Notice how the scar is depressed or sunken in. This is caused by adhesion of the scar to the underlying muscle fascia and loss of normal fat beneath the skin due to the surgery that you had.

The scar can be revised BUT it is likely that it will still become depressed again unless the surrounding fat is reduced.

I have had good luck with excising the scar and using SlimLipo 924 laser to dissolve the fat around the scar.

Check my link below for photos.

Scar Revision

+1

It is not unreasonable for you to get a scar revision even at the age of 18.  This still would be a vertical scar but of much better quality.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Scar Revision to Remove Vertical Scar

+1

As the previous expert posters have stated, the vertical scar can be improved but not erased. Scar revision by an experienced surgeon can help. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Revising a scar

+1

At 18 I would not recommend converting to a transverse scar a la a tummy tuck that can be hidden in your underwear until after you have children.  However, you  may want a scar revision.

REMOVING a Vertical Tummy Scar

+1
Your infra-umbilical medial vertical scar in indented. Its can be made thinner and flush with the surface with a Scar Revision procedure. But we do NOT have the technology to erase scars REGARDLESS of what you hear or see out there. Your options at this time are: - do nothing (no benefits and no risks) - Revise the scar to make it look better - Onceyou have completed your family, have a Full Tummy Tuck which will remove all loose tummy skin as well as the vertical scar. Good Luck. Dr. Peter Aldea

Scar revision to remove vertical scar

+1

A scar revision would improve the appearance of your scar, making it narrower and level with the surrounding tissues.  If you had some truly "extra" skin, then some form of a tummy tuck would completely remove the scar.  But you do not appear to have any excess skin or any skin laxity, so a typical excision-type of scar revision is what might work for you.  There is no reason to wait, as you could enjoy the improvement now.

Carmen Kavali, MD