Can This Scar Be Revised, Improved or Removed? (photo)

This scar is 48 years old. I fell on a rock when I was a child in November of 1963. It's created some emotional problems for me over the years. It's below my bottom lip. Can it be revised or removed ? Can you please help me ?

Traumatic Scars Can Respond Well to A Variety of Techniques

+2

Traumatic scars, i.e. those cause by accidental injury can be treated in a variety of ways, depending upon the appearance, location, depth and coloration of the scar.

In the case of scar, such as the one depicted in the photo, one possible approach might be to perform a revision surgery, in which the scar is excised and reclosed in a more esthetic fashion. This can be followed by a scarabrasion technique to further soften and blend the resulting surgical scar with the surrounding normal tissue. Manual dermasanding, performed under local, with sterilized sandpaper can blend the scar and if performed within eight to twelve weeks following the surgical revision, is often quite successful in significantly improving the scar.

Another possible approach would be to free up the bound-down scar tissue and elevate the surface through the use of subcision. Under local, the scar tissue is broken up and the overlying tissue freed up to float to the surface and more normal collagen production promoted in its place. The procedure requires only minutes to perform and may be repeated one or more times in order to achieve better cosmesis every six to eight weeks. 

A series of medical microneedling treatment may then be used for further blending of any surface irregularities or dyspigmention. The sterile needles penetrate the surface of the skin and break up abnormal areas promoting a more even skin tone and texture.

Web reference: http://YoungerLookingWithoutSurgery.com

Scar Revision Could Significantly Improve Your Appearance

+2

It's unfortunate that this scar has caused these problems for you, but it's not too late for it to be improved. There are a variety of reasons for a scar to be conspicuous. Three major reasons are due to the color, contour, and orientation. The color and orientation of the scar are favorable in your case, but the contour is depressed. You also have rather thick, sebaceous skin surrounding the scar which only adds to the conspicuous nature of the wound.

I believe that you could get a very favorable result from an in-office scar revision. The scar is essentially cut out under local anesthesia and then meticulously closed. It may require a Z-plasty type configuration so that your lip does not shorten during the healing process. The closure would include eversion of the wound so that at first it may looked too "heaped up" but this is done because with time, scars tend to flatten. Therefore a repair that is flat and looks great right after the injury has a tendency to heal depressed.

In addition, you could have dermabrasion of the skin surrounding the scar in order to decrease the surrounding thickness. You have many options for improving the scar. Go to a board-certified facial plastic surgeon experienced in scar revision for a consultation.

michael kim, md

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar Revision

+2

The answer is yes.  This scar can most likely be improved significantly... in the right hands.

Web reference: http://www.drprendiville.com

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can This Scar Be Revised, Improved or Removed?

+2

Great posted photos! Yes this indented, uneven scar can be revised under local anesthesia quite easily. Go get it done. 

Fixing a chin scar that is indented

+1

I would treat this scar with excision and layered closure; which would achieve excellent results. 

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx