Laser Scar Removal for Surgery Scars?

My fiance was attacked by a dog when she was younger. She had a lot of plastic surgery to rebuild her calf. As a result her leg is riddled with scars. I want to know if laser scar removal would work.

Fractional co2 laser and pulsed dye laser for leg scars

+1

I would not suggest scar revision surgery as the first option.  A combination of pulsed dye laser and fractional co2 skin resurfacing will work well. 

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Medical Microneedling Can be Effective for Improving Large Scars

+1

Medical microneedling, sometimes called Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT),  needle dermabrasion, or dermarolling (after the Dermaroller brand device commonly used for this purpose) is an excellent way to treat scars of all kinds, including acne, traumatic, burn, and surgical scars.

The procedure is simple. After being anesthetized, usually with a topical or local anesthetic, the Dermaroller, which is essentially a wheel to which numerous tiny, sterilized stainless needles are attached,  is rolled in multiple directions across the length and breadth of the scar including its border areas with surrounding normal skin. As a result,  fibrous scar tissue is broken up and the microscopic wound columns created in this fashion stimulate new, healther collagen to be produced. The result an improved, more even surface texture and coloration and a softer, more supple, more natural-appearing area. In general, a series of two to four treatments at four to six week intervals is required to achieve optimal results. There is typically little or no downtime after treatment and most people return to work or social activities the next day.

Dermarolling is a low-tech, relatively inexpensive approach to scar treatment, and particularly those that cover a large area, such as the one you describe and burn scars that are difficult to treat by any other means. A recent report demonstrated that medical microneedling produced more new collagen production than intense pulsed light therapy.

Web reference: http://youngerlookingwithoutsurgery.com

Scar Improvement with Lasers.

+1

For the type of scars I see in your photos, as best as I can evaluate, Fractional CO2 laser can help the overall texture and appearance of the scars.  Using this fractionated ablative laser we drill thousands of small holes into the scar, and induce a healing response that softens the texture of the scar.  Multiple treatments are often needed, and IMPROVEMENT is the goal.  The skin will never be perfectly normal or "scar free".

Another laser I find useful in scars is the Pulsed Dye laser-- but this is generally more effecive for red or raised scars.  Some softening may occur with repeated Pulsed Dye Laser treatment.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon