How to Remove Scar if Unsure Whether It's Infected or Not?

I attempted to remove a mole with a Wart and Mole Vanish cream bought off the Internet. However, mole removal was not successful and I am now left with an ugly, red, mole-like scar. I am unsure as to what it is. I went to see a plastic surgeon and he suggested it was a hypertrophic scar. What can I do to remove this scar? Could it be it infected? I've had it for nearly a year without any problem. Thanks.

Scar treatment and revision for hypertrophic scars

You may have an inflamed scar that is hypertrophic.  This type of scar is best treated with IIT, laser, and pressure treatment. 

Hypertrophic scar

A physician analysis of the scar would be able to determine if it was infected. Infections usually present with redness, pain, fever, chills, pus, etc..  If it is a hypertrophic scar, then sometimes scar revision can improve the result.