How to Remove Scar if Unsure Whether It's Infected or Not?

I attempted to remove a mole with a Wart and Mole Vanish cream bought off the Internet. However, mole removal was not successful and I am now left with an ugly, red, mole-like scar. I am unsure as to what it is. I went to see a plastic surgeon and he suggested it was a hypertrophic scar. What can I do to remove this scar? Could it be it infected? I've had it for nearly a year without any problem. Thanks.

Scar treatment and revision for hypertrophic scars

+1

You may have an inflamed scar that is hypertrophic.  This type of scar is best treated with IIT, laser, and pressure treatment. 

Hypertrophic scar

+1

A physician analysis of the scar would be able to determine if it was infected. Infections usually present with redness, pain, fever, chills, pus, etc..  If it is a hypertrophic scar, then sometimes scar revision can improve the result.