Scar Removal Options for Old Surgery Scar?

Can anything be done to minimize the appearance of large scar my stomach from when I was an infant and had surgery on my stomach?

I have been researching the different methods for scar minimization/removal and I understand that I can never completely remove it but I am hoping there is at least a way to minimize it so its not so "out there". I don't know if cutting out the scar and then sewing the area back up is an option or not but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you.

Abdominal scar revision from intestinal surgery

+1

Abdominal scar revision is one of my specialties and I believe that this scar can be improved with surgical excision and layered closure. 

Revising old surgical scars

+1

From the appearance of your scar and abdomen on the photo you provided I would be surprised if a board certified plastic surgeon could not significantly improve the appearance of your scar. Certainly, no scar can be erased, but the goal would be to make it's appearance less obtrusive. You have a deep depression of the scar itself and "railroad" marks where the sutures were. You will still have a scar but it should be smoother and without hatch marks. Of course, only an in person evaluation by an experienced plastic surgeon can give you a definite answer but it is worth the visit. Do not be afraid to ask questions about the eventual end result as well as risks involved and things you can do to minimize the new scar. Since you are a female be sure to discuss the effects of pregnancies.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Scar excision and repair sometimes best

+1

Your old abdominal scar is deep and "tethered" to the underlying tissue. Unfortunately, there is no non-invasive treatment that will produce significant improvement. Your best bet would be to consult with an appropiate specialist about excising this disfiguring scar. Then at about 30 days post-op, a laser procedure might improve the result.

Philip S. H. Hughes, MD
San Antonio Dermatologist