Insurance Coverage for Constantly Itching and Inflammed Scars?

I have numerous small dot scars on my legs and arms. I have used Scar Zone which has helped on my arms. But I believe I have way too many scars on my legs and ankles to try the over the counter treatment. Is scar removal/revision covered under insurance if it is constantly itching and and inflammed?

Scar revision

+1

Scar revision should be a covered procedure under your insurance policy. You can also check by calling your provider.  It is important to undergo a good physical exam and figure out why your scars are problematic.

Highlyu unusual to have multile scars

+1

This sounds atypical. What are the scars from? How many? Raised? Ongoing?

You may want to see a deramtologist.

Scar revision does not necessarily relieve symptoms so I am reticent to recommend it. I would think about trying to control it with topical steroids or intralesional injections. 

"Scqr dots" on Legs/Insurance coverage

+1

It may really depend on what the etiology or cause of these "scar dots" is. Could you add more information. Under certain circumstances treatment of these scars (if there is any) may be covered if it were due to a traumatic incident, skin disease, etc. A visit to your plastic surgeon or dermatologist would help to delineate what the cause is and then whether your insurance would cover it. Oftentimes, insurance will deny coverage but your physician can appeal if he/she feels that it should be covered depending on the type of insurance you have. As to what specific treatment would be necessary, that can only be determined after evaluating the scars.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.