Removing Scar from Eyelid Surgery?

The scars from the incisions on the lower eyelids are still quite prominent after almost 6 months now.

Is there a product or treatment I can apply to reduce or eliminate them. I hear there are scar creams and such but I'm not sure how effective they really are for incisions like this.

I agree with Dr. fardo

I agree with dr Fardo, creams used arounfd the eye often make things worse after surgey rather than better.  gentle massage with Vaseline or a similar priduct may help and consider a fractional laser treatment if the scar is still visible after one year.

Scar guard or Silicone containing gels may help

Scar therapy gels with active ingredients such as steroids, Vitamins A and E and Silicone may help.  If persistent I would explore ablative or non ablative fractional laser therapy.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

You need several months to heal after eyelid surgery

Hi,

It can takes months, even up to a year, to fully heal or see the true results after eyelid surgery. I would give it some more time.

In the mean time, you can always try a product, such as neaclear Scar Advantage, that contains Vitamins A,C, D, and E, cortisone, silicone, and liquid oxygen, which are all helpful in the healing process. This could help lessen the appearance of the scar.

If you are still concerned about scars once some time has passed, it is always a good idea to pay a visit to your plastic surgeon.

Thank you for your question. Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Eyelid surgery scar healing tips

It is always best to see a photo to get a better idea of the scar.

That being said here is what I can tell you:

a) Most lower lid scars heal quickly and well. Six months is a bit long to still have obvious scarring

b) In general scar can take up to 12 months to heal completely

c) Scars that are raised or red can benefit from a number of interventions before that 12 month period

d) Topical silicone scar gels can be helpful. Steroid injection (by the MD) into the scar can also be helpful

e) If these interventions do not help you may need surgical scar revision at 12 months.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone

For some the use of silicone containing products can help the appearance of scars. In fact it about the only topical product that has been proven vs things like vitamin E and Maderma to help the appearance of scars. Scars can take up to a year or two to fully mature. I hope yours don't. Stay out of the sun and use sunblock.

Be careful around the eye

Scars heal differently in all individuals, and can take up to a year or longer to look their best. The lower eyelid is usually a favorable location for scarring, but if a bad scar does develop, there are options available to help. Laser treatments may be indicated if persistent redness is present, or steroid injections may help if excessive scarring developed. I would be very careful about applying any topical treatments yourself as they may be dangerous to the eye itself and they may not even be beneficial. I recommend talking to your surgeon to discuss options.

Dean Fardo, MD

Lower eyelid scar following blepharoplasty

The treatment for a scar on the lower eyelid would depend on how it looked and how much skin is left. If the scar is not very noticeable, nothing should be done. If it is very unpleasant, laser resurfacing may be considered. If there happens to be enough skin left over following the operation, then revision of the scar is possible. 

Removing scar from eyelid surgery?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Eyelid scars improve over time

In most cases blepharoplasty scars may be red or raised right after surgery. Over time they typically flatten and fade out. At 6 weeks you are early in the healing process, be patient, you should see improvement.

There are some topical steroid treatments that may help speed up the smoothing process, and occasionally using a laser may be helpful as well. Consult an expert in person.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery scars

The scars should have pretty much disappeared by now.  You may need a scar revision which is not at all uncommon following eyelud surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD