Removing Scar from Eyelid Surgery?

The scars from the incisions on the lower eyelids are still quite prominent after almost 6 months now.

Is there a product or treatment I can apply to reduce or eliminate them. I hear there are scar creams and such but I'm not sure how effective they really are for incisions like this.

You need several months to heal after eyelid surgery

+4

Hi,

It can takes months, even up to a year, to fully heal or see the true results after eyelid surgery. I would give it some more time.

In the mean time, you can always try a product, such as neaclear Scar Advantage, that contains Vitamins A,C, D, and E, cortisone, silicone, and liquid oxygen, which are all helpful in the healing process. This could help lessen the appearance of the scar.

If you are still concerned about scars once some time has passed, it is always a good idea to pay a visit to your plastic surgeon.

Thank you for your question. Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

I agree with Dr. fardo

+4

I agree with dr Fardo, creams used arounfd the eye often make things worse after surgey rather than better.  gentle massage with Vaseline or a similar priduct may help and consider a fractional laser treatment if the scar is still visible after one year.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Scar guard or Silicone containing gels may help

+4

Scar therapy gels with active ingredients such as steroids, Vitamins A and E and Silicone may help.  If persistent I would explore ablative or non ablative fractional laser therapy.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery scar healing tips

+3

It is always best to see a photo to get a better idea of the scar.

That being said here is what I can tell you:

a) Most lower lid scars heal quickly and well. Six months is a bit long to still have obvious scarring

b) In general scar can take up to 12 months to heal completely

c) Scars that are raised or red can benefit from a number of interventions before that 12 month period

d) Topical silicone scar gels can be helpful. Steroid injection (by the MD) into the scar can also be helpful

e) If these interventions do not help you may need surgical scar revision at 12 months.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone

+2

For some the use of silicone containing products can help the appearance of scars. In fact it about the only topical product that has been proven vs things like vitamin E and Maderma to help the appearance of scars. Scars can take up to a year or two to fully mature. I hope yours don't. Stay out of the sun and use sunblock.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Be careful around the eye

+2

Scars heal differently in all individuals, and can take up to a year or longer to look their best. The lower eyelid is usually a favorable location for scarring, but if a bad scar does develop, there are options available to help. Laser treatments may be indicated if persistent redness is present, or steroid injections may help if excessive scarring developed. I would be very careful about applying any topical treatments yourself as they may be dangerous to the eye itself and they may not even be beneficial. I recommend talking to your surgeon to discuss options.

Dean Fardo, MD

Eyelid scars improve over time

+1
In most cases blepharoplasty scars may be red or raised right after surgery. Over time they typically flatten and fade out. At 6 weeks you are early in the healing process, be patient, you should see improvement.

There are some topical steroid treatments that may help speed up the smoothing process, and occasionally using a laser may be helpful as well. Consult an expert in person.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery scars

+1
The scars should have pretty much disappeared by now.  You may need a scar revision which is not at all uncommon following eyelud surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Incision Scarring & Blepharoplasty

+1

Whenever an incision is made scarring is inevitable. The eyelid is an area where scarring is usually minimal and the scars are well hidden in this location. It usually takes 12-18 months for scars to reach their maximum recovery.

Local wound care can minimize the potential for adverse scarring following surgery. In the immediate post-operative period, removing sutures in a timely manner can minimize adverse scarring. Avoiding crusting and scabbing of the eyelids by keeping them well lubricated with ointment can minimize indentations in the scar as well.

A variety of topical agents have been used in combination with massage to minimize scarring. These include mederma, vitamin E, vitamin A and steroids. In addition it’s important to use a sun block whenever outside. In the vast majority of patients results are excellent when this approach is utilized. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Scar from Eyelid Surgery

+1

One of the ways that is best to treat eyelid subcilliary incisions is proactively. The first is one of technique. Running subcuticular suture has less chance of milia and inflammation. Depending upon where the scar is there may be some heightened thickening because it may have been too close to the lash line. Without examining you it is difficult to make a determination as to whether this is an individual variability or a technical feature where the incision was placed.

Certainly early scar management with upward massage and gentle massage with appropriate scar emollients can make a difference. I typically start my patients on scar management within 10 days after surgery and most patients at 7 days. However, if some time has gone by and your scar is not to your satisfaction, there are laser treatments that may optimize your circumstance. I would be re-evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon and see whether or not there is anything that should be done at this juncture that wasn’t done at the time of the original surgery. If nothing was recommended, then you may have to determine as to why that was the case.

Paul Vanek, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon