Help with Hardening or Thickening of Dog Bite Scar

My husband was bitten by a dog 2 weeks ago. He had a deep puncture wound. Is it normal to have hardening or thickening of the area (several inches around) 14 days after the incident? What can be done to help?

It may get worse before it gets better

+2

Any scar tends to get thicker harder and redder over the 1st 4-6 weeks. Then it tends to soften and lighten up over 1 year or so. A dog bite can be full of bacteria, make sure it is not infected. There are some good scar treatments such as injection of steroids, use of a topical agent (such as scar guard) and laser treatments.

West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon