Treatment for Deep, Rough Scars on the Knees?

I have these deep scars on my knees, and they are so rough I have never worn any skirt or dress in my life. Can anything be done about it?

Knee scars

+1

The scars you describe can be treated with a number of different lasers. For red, thick scars, the pulsed dye laser (such as the Vbeam) can be used to reduced thickness, improve texture and pliability, and fade redness. Fractional lasers - both ablative as well as non-ablative - can be used to improve scars as well. Sometimes both a pulsed dye laser and a fractional laser are used at the same time to get the best results.

The roughness of your scars may be improved through the use of what is called "keratolytic" creams and lotions. These keratolytic lotions and creams typically contain saliylic acid, urea, ammonium lactate, or glycolic acids. One lotion available over the counter contains 12% ammounium lactate and is found in the brand "Am-Lactin". Prescription creams are also available. I usually recommend the use of these creams with a thick moisturizing cream or ointment.

Charlotte Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.