Procedure for Improving Brown and Red Scars on Breast and Armpits?

I have surgical scars on my breast after a breast reduction surgery and I also have surgical scars under my armpits. Is there any procedure that can help to improve their appearance, especially the color? On my armpits they're brown, and on my breast they're red.

Scars

+1

Hi,

It depends on when you had your surgery. Scars can take up to a year to fully heal. Some of the discoloration you are experiencing is normal if your surgery was recent or within the last year. Give it time to heal. In the mean time, you can use silicon products such as Neaclear Scar Advantage to help reduce the appearance of scars. Once you have fully healed you could try laser treatments.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Scars and lasers

+1

Hi!

You need to see a board certified dermatologist. The color of scars can be improved with lasers, and there are different lasers for brown and for red scars.

How to reduce scars

+1

Hi,

If your surgery was recent, this is probably just a normal aspect of healing, and the scars should improve in time. Scars are not fully mature until about one year from surgery, and will continue to improve until that time. In the meantime, you can use silicone products to help flatten and minimize red scars. A product that I often recommend is ScarGuard, which you can brush on like nail polish, or you can also use silicone sheets that you apply to the skin. Ultimately, let time take its course, and the scars should improve.

Breast Reduction Scars

+1

The red color of your breast scars can be treated in a number of ways. Scar cream, such as Talysyn, improves healing and lightens scars. Sometimes steroid injections are necessary to decrease the thickness and redness to scars. Laser treatments are also effective for red scars. It is best to discuss these options with your doctor. Brown disoloration is best treated by various lightening creams.

Scarguard does wonders

+1

I often recommend Scarguard to my patients to help improve the appearance of scarring from breast reduction surgery. It can be found online or at a local drug store. The cost is about $30.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.