Mole Removal - Will I Get a Scar? How Can I Prevent It or Make It Less Noticeable?

I used to have a raised mole on my nose, right next to my eye. I had it removed almost a week ago. The doctor cut it off and then used a laser to remove the rest of it. I am worried that I am going to get one of those indented scars, or a pockmark, in my skin after it has healed. What should I do?

Mole removal

+1

It is difficult to determine within one week how the area will heal.  It takes time for scars to fully heal.  Without a photo it is difficult to assess.

The scar outcome from mole removal takes time to determine

+1

Scar outcome from any method of mole removal cannot be determined at just a week after surgery. Whether it will end up indented or wide or benefit by subsequent scar revision is to be determined. I would wait at least 6 months to get a feel for how the scarring will turn out. While there are many topical scar treatments, none of them have been definitely proven to do better than what waiting and time would do.  

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/

Scarring After Mole Removal

+1

I wish you had provided a photo.

In general, scars take time to mature.  At one week, I doubt  if any surgeon will recommend aggressive treatment.  Scars typically take 3-12 months to mature.

I recommend waiting at least 2-3 months and see if the scar is improving or worsening.  Discuss your concern with your surgeon during this waiting period.

Good Luck.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Will there be a scar after mole removal?

+1

Any time the skin is cut to the level of the reticular dermis, the part of the skin where scars form (about 110 microns or 5/1000 of an inch deep), there will be a scar.  Scars may be more or less visible depending on how the surgery is done.

At the moment, there is nothing to do except wait and see how the scar develops.  The initial indentation may fill in over time, but there is no way to predict now. 

There are a number of topical preparations that claim they will reduce scarring, but everything available at the present time does not work very well.

Some things that have been traditionally used in scar healing, like topical vitamin E have been shown in studies not to improve and sometimes to worsen scar appearance.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

The deed is already done. You should have asked your doctor about the scar before the surgery.

Now you need to wait for 3-6 month if you do not like the scar consult a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY), for scar revision.