Scar Under my Lower Lip, What Can I Do? (photo)

I have got this scar since I was 7 years old (now I am 20) and I am really self-conscious about it ,what are the possibilities to 'remove' it?

Scar Removal

+1

You wouldn't exactly "remove" this kind of a scar but fade it; make it less noticeable. A series of microdermabrasion/chemical peels would improve this scar by a great percentage, and that I think would make you very happy. 

You could also opt for a fractional resurfacing laser treatment for your entire face.  If this is not something you're willing to do, some concealer would do the trick.  At my practice a lot of clients come in to see our estheticians; they can teach you some camouflage make-up techniques to hide it. “Dr. D”

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

CO2 laser for lower lip scars

+1

White textural scars like the one on your lower lip would do well with fractional co2 laser resurfacing.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scar of the lower lip

+1

I understand that you are self conscious about this lower lip scar but in the photo it looks pretty good. That is pretty good for any scar. It is thin and barely noticeable. If the scar is not aligned correctly then a scar revision may help. I understand that you are self conscious but there is very little else that NEEDS to be done. Lipstick is wonderful! It covers everything. 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Scar under lower lip

+1

Of course, it's difficult to answer your question without seeing the scar in person.  It appears that your scar is flat and fairly thin, but white in color.  If that is the case, the reason the scar is noticeable is due to the white color and direction of the scar.  There is no medical treatment to make white skin darker.  The only way to permanently remove a white scar would be to surgically excise it.  I'm not sure that performing surgery on your scar would make it any better.  There would be a couple of options with surgery if you did have it.  One would be to just excise the scar as it is and keep it in the same direction.  The goal of this surgery would be to try and make the scar even thinner and remove the white color.  There is always the possibility that the scar could get worse though.  The other surgical choice would be to try and change the direction of the scar to make it less noticeable, but this would involve having to make a longer incision in different directions.  I would recommend seeing a cosmetic surgeon in person to have the scar evaluated and go over your options.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon