Scar on Lower Ab Creates Problem for Upper Tummy?

Long mid-line incision from emergency bowel surgery has created some problems for me whole tummy. Upper skin now seems to pool around belly button. Its like gravity has had no affect on lower abs and upper skin has no where to go. I am slim and exercise regularly. Looking for alternatives to tummy tuck.

Abdominal scars may tether to deeper structures and cause indentations

+1

Hi there-

The situation you describe is common in patients who have had abdominal operations and c-sections.

In most cases, there will not be an effective and safe alternative to tummy tuck if your goal is to look your best and completely correct the deformity- but army colleagues have stated, it is difficult to say for sure without examining you.

I would recommend you visit with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation.

Abdominal scar

+1

It is very difficult to know what would get you the best result without seeing pictures.   If you would like to send pictures I am happy to evaluate and give you options that would benefit you the most

John Hensel, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

A tummy tuck is likely your best option, but it is impossible to say without seeing photos.

+1

A tummy tuck is likely your best option, but it is impossible to say without seeing photos or examining you.

To better see what your options are, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Treatment Options for Abdominal Wall Scar?

+1

I think it will be in your best interest to either post pictures or seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Otherwise, any discussion regarding your situation would be speculative and potentially misleading/confusing.

Previous scar and abdominoplasty

+1

Usually the skin from the belly button down to the hairline is removed with a properly performed abdominoplasty. Therefore, all your scar should be gone during surgery. It should not make things more complicated, a large proportion of women who have a tummy tuck do the procedure in part to get rid of that scar from previous surgery.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+1

I think you would be very happy with abdominal lastly to excise that midline scar and pull down all that loose skin.  But you could also have a abdominal scar re excision with skin removal. That should also help. It would be best to decide with photos. Thanks

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Modified tummy tuck should help.

+1

Hi.

Nothing other than surgery will improve your situation.  A modified tummy tuck done through your vertical scar may work.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Alternative to tummy tuck for abdominal scar revision

+1

Without seeing any photos or doing a physical exam, it is very difficult to give you much advice on what alternatives you may have for improving your abdominal issues. Very likely, you have some tethering of the midline incisional scar to the underlying tissues. This may be amenable to excision of the scar and careful closure of the tissues after lysis of the underlying adhesions. A consultation with a local board certified plastic surgeon would be very helpful for you. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon