Is This Scar a Keloid or Hypertrophic Scar and What Would Be the Best Way to Reduce It? (photo)

It's from a navel piercing and is now protruding, hard, red, and sometimes itches. It is about 4 years old. The scar is where the bottom of the piercing was. I would love to remove it, but would be happy to shrink it to a normal size.

Pulsed dye laser and IIT for keloid injections in Los Angeles

+1

Inflammatory keloid scarring is truly a condition that leads to worsening scars. I would treat early with pulsed dye laser and IIT. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Is This Scar a Keloid or Hypertrophic Scar and What Would Be the Best Way to Reduce It?

+1

Inflammatory keloid scarring. Try injection of a steroidal solution every 3 weeks for 6 times. Will be painful and expensive. 

+1

I recommend that you seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Scar tissue growth that has extended beyond the area of the piercing trauma fits the definition of a keloid. It is best to have this checked out by a scar expert. If it is indeed a keloid injection treatments and possibly LASER can shrink it. Alternatively, injections followed by surgical excision and possibly more post-surgical injections can typically create significant improvement.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon