Scar from Rhinoplasty 3 Weeks Ago. Anything I Can Do to Lighten it?

I just had a rhinoplasty and alar last 3 weeks ago but still the scar from alar beside the nose were very dark and noticeable, is there anything i can do to lighten it? pls. help.

Scars Present 3 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty

+1

The scars present 3 weeks after a rhinoplasty may actually look worse than they did the first week after the operation. These will improve with time. I always tell my patients to avoid sun exposure on fresh wounds. If the incisions are actually dark, a bleaching cream may help, but only under the supervision of your surgeon.

Rhinopalsty scars

+1

At three weeks the incisoins from open rhinoplasty or alar base surgery will often be red and firm. They usually soften up and lighten over time. At this point it is probably best jsut to follow yoru doctor's advice. In general, for my patients, these incision often heal without long term problems.

+1

At 3 weeks post Rhinoplasty, the scar is still healing and you are under the post-op care of your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  IMHO, you should really follow his/her post-op instructions at this point.

+1

Hi,

You should consult with your surgeon about scar treatment options. If its just a little pigmentation then you can ask your surgeon it bleaching cream is ok ( hydroquinone).

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Dark scars

+1

3weeks post surgery is still very early for you to judge the appearance of your scars - be patient and follow up with your surgeon.  Some basic principles:

• Sun avoidance 
  • High SPF sunscreen
  • Silicone gel

Sam Naficy, MD