Scar from Mole Removal (photo)

I had a mole removed from my upper lip about a month ago done by excision which was a real bad idea because it left a scar that is way worse then the mole itself. Although the scar has faded a little it bothers and affects my self esteem. I just want to fade the scar better so I can get on with my life and stop thinking of it. Could fraxel co2 or something help flatten it and make it fade/blend in more? Im not asking for it to totally disappear. I know that's not possible. Please help thank you

Scar treatments with fractional co2 for old mole removal scars

+1

Some early scar treatments include pulsed dye laser and fractional co2 laser to resurface and retexture the skin. You will likely always have a scar, but these treatments will make them look less noticeable. 

Laser, scar

+1

There is no question that at one month you will still notice significant improvement if not complete resolution over time.  I agree with the recommendation about sunscreen every single day and silicone gel or gel sheeting can be helpful.  If you were to be more aggressive and start treatment now, I would use a pulsed dye laser at this point.  I would only go to a fractionated ablative laser if there was still correction to be done after 6-12 months.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Peter J. Jenkin, MD, FAAD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Lasers for scar improvement

+1

I would have to respectfully disagree, I think lasers can certainly be used to improve scar appearance and you do not need to wait a year to do them. Granted you scar will certainly improve with time but laser can help further blend and flatten scars for improvement beyond which time can give you. I would recommend seeing a board certified dermatologist with expertise in laser surgery for this.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar from mole

+1

Scars take up to a year to improve. At one month the wound has still not reached even maximal scar production. Keep the area covered with sun block and apply silicone cream for the best result. It will get better with time. No need for laser etc for up to one year.

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon