Scar on Cheek Immediately After Fraxel Restore 1927?

Today I had my second Fraxel treatment, the first was the 1550 wavelength and this one was the 1927. I had no issues with the first treatment, just a rash that was treated with antibiotics and cleared up quickly. This time, the physician did 8 passes at 20 mj and 55% coverage. As soon as I left, I looked in the mirror and noticed two indented scars on the top of my cheekbone. They are red and look identical to acne scarring. Is this normal? Will they heal on their own?

Not a Fan of Fraxel!

+2

Many of these laser treatments are done at great cost and pain.  The pigments just return in a short time.  There can be scaring.  Yes I know some are enthusiastic.  The most enthusiastic doctor is of course the doctor that just shelled out the $200,000.00 for this beauty machine and now has to justify the $5000 a month leasehold payments,  Beware!  There are so many beauty machine out there that are supposed to produce beauty and simply do not.  Much much more can be accomplished with a simple Obagi type regimen featuring mild Retin A and Hydroquinone.    This is a cream that has a daily regimen and with patience the skin will clear and stay permanently clear of all brown spots etc.   Although initially it is a daily regimen at night, eventually it may be once a week.  Patience has great rewards here.   The hydroquinone actually penetrates the epidermis and eventually permanently reduces and eliminates brown spot pigment production.   The Retin-A acts as a micro mini exfoliant  every day.  The result is a beautiful skin.  Yes, the Obagi program costs about $500 every 4 to 6 months but now there are generic companies that are incorporating  the essential ingrediants of the more expensive Obag and selling this for 70 dollars for 4 to 6 months.  What a deal.  BrandMD is one of the producers of a cream that is ,05 Retin A and 7% hydroquinone and it works great.  My daughter has been on it for 2 years now and loves it.   What a beautiful complexion she has.   And dollars invested in the cream program produce lasting and even permanent beauty.  They work.  Machine are expensive and may work a little for a little why but why not keep it simple.  Be patient and get magnificent results with the creams. My Best to you.  Dr C

Web reference: http://www.gcommonsmdplasticsurgery.com

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Post Fraxel Scarring

+1

Thank you for your question. After any type of fractionated resurfacing, there is swelling and it is difficult to know what is swelling and what is an actual change in the tissue. Wait until 6-8 weeks have passed to do any close scrutiny of the skin. I hope this helps!

Bay Area Dermatologist

Immediate Scar on Cheek After Fraxel Dual Laser

+1

Hi BmW,

You should discuss your concerns with your treating physician.  Your doc will know what was done and what to expect. 

Without photos it is difficult to answer your question.  Personally I have not seen any permanent scarring following Fraxel Dual laser.  Hopefully your skin will heal beautifully. 

With all due respect to Dr. Commons comments, when properly used, Fraxel Dual is an excellent laser for skin rejuvenation and the improvement of brown spots on the face.  All treatment modalities have their pluses and minuses, including skin care regimens.  As with everything we use in facial plastic surgery, it is how the tool is used by the practicioner that makes the difference.  I hope that you heal well.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.