Can Scar Camouflage Tattooing Have Good Results for Large Scar on Face?

I was told that tattooing pigment into my white scar would help hide it. Is there any danger in doing this and is it effective? Any other recommendations?

Treating white scars on the body

+1

I have obtained good results with fractional co2 laser skin resurfacing for white scars on the body. 

Tattooing to camouflage scars

+1

Tattooing scars as camouflage is very tricky since it is very difficult to obtain a perfect color match and your natural skin tone changes with tanning and aging.  There is always the chance of an allergic reaction to the tattoo pigment.  It is very difficult to remove the pigment afterwards with lasers.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Scar camouflage tattooing

+1

Although tattooing of scars for the purpose of camouflage is an option, tattoo pigment often takes unevenly in scar tissue.  If you pursue this option, I would suggest going with someone with experience in medical tattooing, and would recommend an initial test spot to a small area.  Complications to this sort of procedure include allergic reactions to the tattoo pigment, poor color match, uneven pigmentation.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist