Is it Possible to Have a Horizontal Tummy Tuck Scar Placed Under C-Section Scar?

I am wondering if I could possibly get a horizontal full tummy tuck scar below my current c-section scar without having to get a vertical scar. If the vertical scar has to be present, how long would it usually be? Also, I am usure if I need to get lipo on the sides and/or back to get a better results.

Yes, 99% of the time a horizontal tummy tuck scar will remove the Caesarean Scar.

+3

You will absolutely not have to have a vertical scar. Surgeons who do many tummy tuck just learn how to do the operation well, get out the entire belly button opening, avoid any vertical scar, and totlally remove the Carsarean Scar in the process.  I have not had to do a vertical scar in years but occasionally (RARELY) it is necessary.  Seek 3 opinions from ABPS-FACS surgeons and make them prove an interest in abdominoplasty.  How many do they do in a year.  Prove it.  be a tough shopper.  You of all people , judging from your photos should easily get rid of the Caeserean Scar and have absoluteluy no vertical scar.   My Best!

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Incision Placement

+3

In most cases, the incision for the tummy tuck / abdominoplasty is placed under the c-section scar like you are wanting.  In your pictures, you do not appear to have a lot of excess skin, which may make it difficult to put a very low incision.  However, it is impossible to tell without seeing you in person.

Good Luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Tummy Tuck Incision below C-section?

+2

Thank you for the question that picture.

It is usually possible to place the tummy tuck incision at or below the previous C-section scar. Minimal amount of liposuctioning  of your flanks may be helpful to improve results.

Excellent Candidate

+2

Your photographs indicate fairly tight skin with out much excess to be pulled down and trimmed. It is unlikely that can avoid a vertical scar. Usually vertical scars are no longer that 1.5-2 inches. As for liposuction on your sides, you seem to have a slight amount of fullness which can be removed by Liposuction. Fortunately these two procedures can be down at the same time and will give you very good results.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck scar

+2

The lowest scars are often mini -tummy tuck scars.  If your abdominal tissue is not that loose, you could end up with a higher scar (but without a vertical component).  Your surgeon should discuss, and draw on you, the location of a mini-tummy tuck scar with extensive lipo of the abdomen vs. a full tummy tuck.

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

It is common to place the tummy tuck scar at or below a C-section scar.

+2

Looks like you are a great candidate for a standard abdominoplasty. This would involve a horizontal scar below your bathing suit line and hopefully below your C-section scar as well. This can only be sorted out with an examination and proper consultation. This will also allow for a discussion about the modest additional improvements possible with liposuction to your hips and flanks. In some instances, the horizontal scar can not be positioned below a very low positioned C-section scar but the shape improvements to your torso should still be worth it.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+2

From the photos you submitted, it appears like you can have the tummy tuck with a very low incision- under the C-section scar.  You do not need to have a vertical type of scar.  Liposuction can be done in the flanks or posterior lower back at the time of the abdominoplasty.  Some plastic surgeons offer liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

C-section scar and tummy tuck incision

+2

In tummy tuck surgery, the incision is usually placed at a minimum slightly below the C-section scar which would then be removed with the surgery. If yours is situated at the hairline, this would be a reasonable approach as you would want the scar here to be covered by most "standard" underwear.

Whether or not the old site of your belly button can be removed can't be fully determined by your photos alone. However, if it does remain, it usually is situated in the lower part of your lower abdomen and may be approximately 2 - 3 cm in size.

Liposuction such as of your flanks will allow for even greater contouring and a better overall result. What areas can be improved should be discussed with your plastic surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy tuck scar below the C-section scar

+2

We try to place all transverse tummy tuck scars at or below the C-section scar. We like nothing less than the tummy tuck scar peaking above the underpant or bathing suit line. It is correct that in order to keep the scar so low often the shift in the belly button will leave a short vertical scar where it was originally located if enough skin laxity is not present to bring the tummy tuck all the way down to the C-section level. Based on your photos, the mini tummy tuck with muscle repair might be the best option.

peterejohnsonmd

Location Of Tummy Tuck Scar May Or May Not Be At Same Level As C-Section Scar

+2

The basis of your question is that you would like a tummy tuck scar, if you had one, to be below your existing c-section scar. Depending upon what type of tummy tuck you may be considering, the final scar may or may not end up below where your c-section scar is now. This would be very likely with a mini-tummy tuck but unlikely with a full tummy tuck. Even though the design of the  tummy tuck would place the lower incision below your c-section scar, skin flap closure always involves more than just the upper skin flap coming down 100% of the way to meet the lower skin incision. That is because the lower skin edge is not fixed, so some upper movement of the initial incision/final closure line will occur.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD