Scar and Divot on Nose After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

10 days away from being 4 months post-op (out of my global period). Not only is there a scar, but there feels like there is divot in the bone structure. There was a scab after surgery!! I've gone back to my surgeon 5 times now, and he almost completely ignores my concerns about this. I didn't know that the skin could/would be affected by the surgery. He suggested putting a filler in. I don't think I'm comfortable with that. He scheduled my last appt outside of the global period, so conveniently.

Scar after rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for your question. There is a possibility that you had some skin trauma during the procedure. For the little I can appreciate of the nose in general looks like you have a nice result. As a rule we don't reoperate in noses for at least a year after rhinoplaty. My advice is to wait a full year. You can massage the area and use silicone based anti-scarring products. Also is important to protect the area from sun exposure to prevent hyperpigmentation. Check with you surgeon again but give yourself a year after surgery. Fillers might be an option or a small scar revision might also help. Best to you.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Did you have a previous trauma to the nose?  Sometimes, the skin is very adherent to the dorsum after trauma or is very thin.  The scar should improve with time.  Filler or fat to the area after a few more months may be reasonable.  If you are not comfortable with filler or fat to the area, the area can be reexcised to produce a scar that should not appear depressed in the long term.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Scar after rhinoplasty

+1

It sures looks like a small scar, and it sounds by your description that you may had some skin loss. Probably the simplest solution is filler, but best to see your surgeon.

Scar after rhinoplasty

+1

From the photos, it does appear that you have a scar in the upper part of the nose.  I certainly cannot say for sure, but there may have a been a skin injury during the rhinoplasty.  This could happen when taking down a bump, where the blade actually comes through the skin.  Did you have a bump prior to surgery?  Filling is, of course, only temporary.  The scar is still maturing, and may fade over time.  It appears depressed, however, which may or may not improve.  Excision of the scar to remove the depression may need to be considered in the future.  Certainly discuss this with your surgeon and don't let the issue be ignored. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery improves the profile

+1

Rhinoplasty surgery tries to improve the nose. The goal of the surgery is improvement. I think you are taking the correct approach of working with your surgeon to make sure you get the result you deserve.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon