Scalp, Infilitrating BCC - Should I See my Doctor Again?

I had a VERY large infiltrating BCC removed from my scalp (Mohs/secondary intention) 1 year ago. While the wound is not open, every 4-6 weeks, very thick scabs of dry skin appear and then eventually come off. Should I see my doctor? Thank you.

Mohs

+1

I simply say yes. Even though BCC are relatively benign the infiltrative type can be aggresive. A small punch biopsy is quick and fast and can help determine between a recurrence and a benign skin condition

Scaling after Wound Healed Following Mohs Surgery

+1

It is possible that the scaling is related to the healed scar, but the doctor should examine the area to be sure there is not any recurrence of your skin cancer. As a general rule, once you've had a skin cancer  you should be seen at least once or twice a year to look for possible new skin cancers and to assure that no prior skin cancers recur. One of those appointments should include a full body examination of your skin, and you should be performing monthly self examinations.

Andrew Kaufman, MD