5 months post Facelift with a scalp scar that had healed and now reopened. What should I do?

It about 5mths post op -healed fine -now has reopened and leaks minimal fluid -scabs over but wont heal or get smaller-no smell ,itch or pain. The first scab came off but its red underneath- slight bleeding. Could this be a hair or cancer even?

Scalp scar opened 5 months after facelift

+2
Your scalpel scar should not open 5 months after a facelift.  The most likely cause is a retained suture or ingrown hair.  Please see your plastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment.  Cancer is unlikely but if your plastic surgeon is concerned a biopsy can be done.

Problems with healing after a facelift, lite-lift, quicklift, life-style lift

+2
problems with healing after a facelift, lite-lift, quicklift, life-style lift
incisions should not reopen this long after your surgery,
this should be seen by your doctor and evaluated

Scalp scar opened 5 months after surgery

+2
It is definitely not normal for a wound to re-open 5 months after surgery.  You should contact the surgeon who performed your facelift to be evaluated and determine the cause.  It is possible it could be an ingrown hair, as you mentioned, but there could be other causes as well.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scalp scar reopening 5 months after face lift

+2
Thank you for your face lift question.

• The most likely cause is an ingrown hair
  • The next most likely cause is a deep absorbing suture that you body tried to absorb is now trying to reject,
  • See your plastic surgeon to figure out the cause,
  • A cancer is very unlikely but can certainly be biopsied by your surgeon is a worrisome area has appeared.
  • Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

An open wound five months After facelift is really unheard of

+2
I can imagine why a woman would open five months after facelift. This needs to be reported to your plastic surgeon. Make sure he did knees any foreign material as this Can necessitate At a later date.

Recovery Period & What to Expect Following Facelift

+1

Healing after a facelift can take variable amounts of time, but I agree, 5 months is a little too long. It sounds like there may be some underlying reason your scalp scar has reopened. Often times there are some dissolving stitches that can work their way to the surface and create healing problems. The other issue is that sometimes hairs can get caught up in the stitches and closed up into the wound, especially if your hair is long or very dense in the area. These, too, can then surface later and cause healing problems. Either way it would probably be best to get back into your plastic surgeon’s office and have them look at it. Most likely they just need to extract those and then things will heal up fine. The chances of this being in any way cancer related is extremely low, so don’t lose sleep over it but just get back in to be evaluated. 

Marie E. Montag, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

See your surgeon

+1
I recommend you see your surgeon as soon as you can to have this resolved. By this time, your incisions should have healed closed (although the resulting scar can take about a year to mature).

Jerome Edelstein, MD