Scalp Advancement

I have a high hairline and it makes my forehead look rather big. I am looking into getting a scalp advancement however since I am a 23 year old the elasticity of my scalp is rather tight. I wanted to know just how this type of procedure will work with my scalp not being flexible. Realistically will my hairline be able to come down much or will it be a minimal difference?

Hairline Transplants Versus Laser Hair Transplants

+1

Given your relative younger age and unpredictability of your hair loss, it may not be a good idea to do this. To answer your question however, yes, the hairline can be lowered by hair transplantation.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Scalp Advancement to Lower Hairline

+1

Scalp advancement tends to work best in raising a hairline and not lowering a hairline.  You are correct...the younger the patient the harder to advance the scalp.  In young people I tend to use hair transplants to lower the hariline when applicable....but if you create too low a hairline this could cause problems as you age.

Jack Fisher, MD

Large Forehead Options

+1

Of course, you need an evaluation of your forehead and hairline positions before options can discussed.  But in general, there is a significant scar associated with the scalp advancement which we like to avoid in younger patients.  With a hair transplant, there is a scar from where the hair is taken.  Usually this is covered with hair but we can not always predict your future hair thickness as you age. Further, hair transplants are also used to cover scars such as the scalp advancement regularly.  It really depends on how severe the problem is.  Find someone who has experience with both for an in depth consult and a further discussion on the pros and cons of both.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scalp advancement

+1

The negatives for you would be that not only will you not be able to advance the hair down that significantly but also that you will end up with a scar which may be visible. This will not help but draw attention to that area. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplants not scalp advancement

+1

Scalp advancement will leave a scar across the entire frontal hairline.  Hair transplants to re-creatre a frontal hairline and fill in the areas of thining make much more sense IMHO.

Scalp advancement

+1

Sometimes we can lower the hairline up to 3.5 cm with a single stage procedure utilizing multiple galea releasing incisions(galeotomies). If the scalp is very tight or more advancement is desired, scalp expansion is a good approach. Follicular unit hair transplants can be the alternative with any of these scenarios especially if the problem is due to a progressive balding pattern. You should be examined by a surgeon experienced with these procedures.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairline Advancement

+1

I assume you are female. This is a common complaint I've heard from young ladies for many years. Tight scalps  sometimes require the use of a tissue expander, which enables us to lower the hairline as much as we want. 

Scalp advancement for hair loss(balding).

+1

This does not change with age and if you are tight it will stay that way. Therefore, it is probably not for you. You should investigate both hair transplants and the Fleming-Mayer Flap to see the advantages and disadvantages of both before deciding.