Is it Possible that My Doctor is Saving Leftover Juvederm for Another Treatment?

Doc said it would take 2 v's for minor maintenance of nasal, marionette & 2 small lines btw eyes. After completion said I had about 1/3 syringe left & could use within 8 mos. Never heard of this, normal? My other doc.always took product directly from box in my presence never used more than 1 vial. Used to be able to feel product in the areas injected, this time nothing. Could they be diluting and/or using left over product. Product in large syringe, brownish colored. Curious & concerned.

Can Juvederm be Stored After Opening?

+2

Hi Hayward.  This does not sound good.  Although some of the panelists have commented that they save syringes, we do not.  A patient needs to have all the product injected the day of the treatment.  

There are a couple reasons for this.  There is always a chance for contamination after the syringe is opened and we do not want to be responsible for the storage of the product after it is opened.  It's just not a good practice.  In addition to this, our time is valuable.  When you are injected, you are paying for the product, but you are also paying for the time.  Scheduling another appt for the same product would have to result in a whole new charge for the service and our patients would rather pay just once.

The most disturbing part about your story is the "brownish color".  This is not the color of Juvederm and you should run very fast and very far from this place.

Re-using filler

+1
Here are 3 separate studies showing the safety of re-injecting unused filler in the same patient. The science says it is safe.

Bellew SG, Carroll KC, Weiss MA, Weiss RA. Sterility of stored nonanimal, stabilized hyaluronic acid gel syringes after patient injection. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005;52:988–90.

Davis K, Bottone EJ, Lucas D, Lebwohl M. Sterility of refrigerated injectable collagen syringes after injection of patient. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1992;27:959–61.

Culligan PJ, Koduri S, Heit MH, Rackley R, Thomson RB, Schwabe L, et al. The safety of reusing injectable collagen: A multicenter microbiological study. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2002;13:232–4.

Sheila Nazarian, MD

+1

Obviously, the Juvederm should be opened from the box in your presence, used and not saved.  You would have to ask the MD that did your Juvederm injections what he/she did in your particular case.

Reuse of Juvederm Leftover From Previous Treatment

+1

Hi Hayward,  Studies have been performed showing that it is safe to reuse leftover filler as long as they are recapped.  For legal reasons, filler companies do not recommend reuse, and many physicians are not willing to save product for future use.  If used again, the filler should be in the original company syringe, and certainly should not be "brownish colored".  Good luck and be well.   Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Left over Juvederm

+1

I label it carefully and will keep a left over syringe for one month for a patient then it gets discarded. Juvederm should be perfectly clear.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Sounds very iffy! Never seen a "brownish" colour of Juvederm. Best to ask for the label from the syringe injected. Bet you can not get a copy. 

Juvederm

+1

I do not hold syringes for patients if I only use a small amount. There is a risk that the product saved for you may accidentally be injected into someone else, or you may get someone elses product( this even happens with blood transfusions in the hospital.)

Saving juvederm

+1

It is possible that your doctor did not use the full syringe at the time of your visit. How long a doctor is willing to save a vial depends on the length of time they feel comfortable with for storage. There is nothing wrong with this and he/she was being honest with you about not using the full amount. at your visit You want to have enough injected but not too much. You don't really want to "feel it" so that is OK as long as you like the way it looks. When I do lips and get immediate swelling I might  save some product on purpose in case there is a bit of unevenness when swelling goes down and I need to touch it up. I would not think that your doctor is going to use this  product on anyone else if he used it on you straight from the vial. However, a vial can be divided prior to use if one wants to use small quantities over a few patients. I do not think  that anyone would dilute this. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Filler leftover

+1

What ever amount of fillers is left un used should be disgarded, never stored for reuse. The reuse of un used fillers is against infection control procedures, and violates the standards of care.