Not Satisfied with my Breast Augmentation Results? (photo)

I had a breast augmentation and the doctor put 180ccs only, when he told me that he was gonna put at least 225. I hate my boobs now, its like i didn't have a surgery, they are extremely small, considering that before the surgery I had nothing but the nipples, literally. The implants don't have the same position, and one looks way bigger, they look so bad. My question is, how much would a revision cost and how long should i wait before having another surgery to go bigger and fix them?

When to book a breast augmentation revision surgery? wait at least 3 months

+2

I would recommend waiting for everything to settle down for 3 months before attempting another surgery.  You do have two implants that are sitting too low, left more than the right.  Going in too early would mean that the capsule around the implant has not yet matured and would likely be too friable to support the repositioning of the implant.  I would recommend patience and perhaps a second opinion consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who's before and after pictures and reputation fit your expectations.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Unsatisfactory breast augmentation results

+2

I'm sorry you have a had a bad experience.  Usually this is a very high satisfaction procedure.

Looking at your photos, I agree that the left breast implant is lower than the right, and, frankly, both implants are a bit too low ( not centered under the nipple).  It also sounds as if you and your surgeon had a miscommunication about the size.

I don't know how long ago your original surgery was, but, generally, I like to wait at least 3 months before considering any type of revision.Your surgeon could try to reposition the implants by closing down the lower part of the implant pockets.  Or you may require a 2 stage approach with an initial implant removal followed a few months later by re-insertion.

As far as cost goes, it depends.  If I have to do a revision on one of my patients, I usually waive the surgeon's fee, but the patient is responsible for OR and Anesthesia costs.  If the patient goes to a new surgeon, she is responsible for all related expenses - basically about the same cost as the original procedure.

Good luck.  I hope it all works out.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Unsatisfied after breast augmentation

+2

There seem to be two issues here-size and position. Further discussions with your surgeon  are in order

• Size --  We don't have any pre-op photos, but from your note it sounds like you had very little breast tissue. From the post-op photos, the breast skin looks rather tight even with the 180 cc implants. We don't know how far after surgery these photos were taken--if they are in the early after surgery period, it may be that a larger implants might not have been a reasonable choice. Knowing your height and weight, and the width of the breast, and seeing pre-op photos would help in evaluation of implant size possibilities. 
  • Position -- The breast folds are uneven, and it is hard to imagine that anything short of surgery will make them even. It is not easy to tell symmetry in size, but I feel it is likely that the breasts would look the same size if the fold on the left were corrected. If your breasts were even is size before surgery, and the same size implants were inserted, the sizes should be reasonably even. 

Timing-- Most surgeons recommend a wait after primary surgery for a size change. Reasons include waiting for the implants to settle and the muscle to relax before a fair evaluation of size takes a few months, and that often patients change their mind about dissatisfaction with size.  However, in the setting of fold asymmetry, many of us would try to correct this early on. 

Cost-- Another surgeon would probably charge as much or more than the cost  for the primary surgery. Your own surgeon might be willing to work with you to minimize the costs, perhaps limited to operating room fees, anesthesia cost, and implants costs (if you and the surgeon agree to larger implants), with a reduced or perhaps no surgeon's fee.

Your breast implants have bottomed out which is why they look abnormal to you

+1

Thank you for submitting your question and photographs. Your breast implants have bottomed out or moved down on your chest following your breast augmentation surgery. This problem can be revised but revision should not be done until 6 months after your primary surgery. See your plastic surgeon and discussed the revision. The surgeon should be able to demonstrate on your chest what the breasts will look like once the bottoming out is revised, and that may make the breast larger so that you do not require a larger size. The cost of a revision will be determined by your negotiations with your plastic surgeon but in my practice I do not charge a surgical fee but ask the patient to pay hospital fees.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Not Satisfied with my Breast Augmentation Results?

+1

You can always go bigger if you think they are too small. You have some asymmetry as both are low with the right being lower. The pocket will need to be sutured up probably on both sides. I don't think these will get better with time and maybe worse.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Revision augmentation cost and time period to wait.

+1

Revision costs are typically higher than the original augmentation due to the difficulties in correcting the issues from the first surgery. Costs will vary substantially from plastic surgeon to plastic surgeon. I recommend seeing at least 3 board certified plastic surgeons before making a decision. As for timing, I like to wait at least 6 months to allow for all of the healing effects to settle. This ensures a more predictable result from the revision.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry After Breast Augmentation

+1

I am sorry that your surgery did not turn out well.  I would wait between 3-6 months. The cost of a revision depends on your surgeon.  Surgeons have different policies on revision surgery of patients they have already operated on.  The left breast had the natural fold violated.  You may need a downsize and fold revision.  I recommend a revisit with your PS and a second opinion.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Timing for Revisionary Breast Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question and pictures.

From your photos, it does look like you have bottoming out of both implants (left greater than right).  I usually recommend that patients allow for healing and settling of breast implants- at least 4-6 months. If capsulorrhaphy is needed (as in your case to improve the position of the breast implants on your chest wall), I recommend that the patients wait to as close to 1 year post op as possible to have the internal suture technique.  The reason being that the capsule around the breast implant needs to  strong enough to hold the permanent sutures and the closer the patient is to the 1 year post op mark, the more likely the capsulorrhaphy repair will be successful.

I would also suggest that you discuss the size of your breast implants clearly with your surgeon -- I like the use of goal photographs.  The surgeon should be able to let you know if it is possible to go larger in size.

Visit with well experienced plastic surgeons who can show you examples of their work and ask to speak with other patients who have had similar procedures performed. 

Changing Your Implants

+1

Like the other doctors have said, the size and postion of your implants both contain problems. Based on your picture, you have experienced “bottoming out.” Fortunately, a breast revision using liposuction and fat grafting to the area will correct the placement issue and give your breasts a better shape. If, after this procedure, you remain unhappy about the size you always have the option of replacing your implants with larger ones after about 6 months of recovery.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD