Can I remove medpor chin implant 2 weeks after surgery? (photos)

I hate it. It is not the swelling. I want it gone FOR SURE. Is it best to remove it asap to prevent tissue growing into it? Will there be dimpling, skin balling, or any other deformity not there before? Will my face go back to the way it was before? I am scared of this decision for the implant. I think I ruined my face. I liked my face a lot. I only wanted a little better profile, not a whole new jaw line.

When to remove medpor implant

+2
Yes, it is better to remove a medpor implant early, before it attaches to bone.
Be sure you are making the right decision. The surgical swelling has increased your chin size by 25% or more. 

Medpor Chin Implant Removal

+2
It is just as easy to remove a Medpor chin implant at 6 weeks after surgery as it is at 2 weeks. It does become more difficult months later but certainly not unduly so in my experience. But in the interest of the best chance of soft tissue readaptation back down to the bone, the sooner you remove it the better. Medpor chin implants are often too big (bulky) for many patients and the issue may be function of the implant size and style chosen. One issue to consider is that you revisit why you initially had the surgery and replace the Medpor implant with a much smaller more streamlined silicone chin implant that is better suited to what you wanted to initially achieve.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Implant removal

+2
It is easier to remove a medpore implant early rather than later due to tissue in growth over time.   Discuss with your surgeon your concerns before you make your final decision.  Your swelling has not fully resolved at 2 weeks and you may like the look as it goes away.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD. Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Can I remove medpor chin implant 2 weeks after surgery?

+2
Yes, you can have the implant removed 2 weeks following surgery.  In fact, if you want this removed, it will be much easier at 2 weeks.  I have used silicone chin implants for over 25 years and the anatomical results are great.  Aesthetically, in my opinion, I prefer the silicone anatomical shape over the Medpore shape.   

Removal of chin implant 2 weeks after surgery

+2
It is possible to remove a medpor chin implant 2 weeks after surgery.  There also would still be significant swelling present 2 weeks after the implant was placed, so if the implant was left in, your appearance would still improve over time.  I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon so that you can come to an educated decision in regards to your chin.  If the implant was removed now, I would say your appearance should be about the same as it was before your surgery.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing a medpore chin implant

+1
It should be possible to remove your medpore chin implant after just 2 weeks. You should discuss with your surgeon your concerns to make sure the issue isn't something that will resolve with time. It's sounds like it's not an issue with just the swelling from what you describe.

If you haven't had the implant in place very long in most circumstances your chin soft tissue should be able to redrape back around your chin. Another consideration is to place a smaller sized and/or different shaped silicone implant.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD