Do You Have More Complications with a Higher Body Weight? (photo)

I am 5'1" and weight 155 lbs - my bmi is 29.3. I am fairly active but carry most of my excess weight around my midsection. I do however have some muscle tone. I have read somewhere that being a higher weight puts me at more complications? Is this true and what type of complications am I at risk?? I was due for surgery in September however my ps required surgery of his own so not sure when my tt will be rescheduled for.

BMI is an indicator of potential risk

+3

The higher a patient's BMI the higher the risk of complications - mostly blood clots and wound healing problems.  That being said, I don't think BMI is a perfect assessment of a person.  I often operate on patients with higher BMI's - but I evaluate the patient as a whole, not just a number.   Judging by your photos, I think you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  Good luck!  Dr. Kaufman

Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Do You Have More Complications with a Higher Body Weight?

+2

Higher body mass index is associated with higher risks for surgery. Thirty is one demarcation, though the number is somewhat arbitrary. BMI is one risk factor among a number of indices of general health. 

From the photos you have attached, I would not hesitate, after appropriate consultation, to recommend surgery for you. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Tummy tuck complications and BMI

+2

Yes, increasing BMI increases risks in tummy tuck. In fact, having too high of a BMI (obesity) makes a person NOT a candidate for tummy tuck. Fortunately, you are not obese nor is your BMI too high. If you are not at your ideal or desired body weight, you would benefit to reduce your BMI as much as possible before tummy tuck to increase your safety as well as improve the final cosmetic result. Reducing BMI decreases risks for wound healing problems, fat or skin necrosis (tissue loss), seroma (fluid collection), infection and blood clots in the legs. 

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Theoretically yes but your BMI and photos do not indicate you should be at any higher risk for poor healing

+2

Thank you for the question and photos.  The higher the BMI beyond overweight the higher the theoretical chances that healing might be negatively impacted.  Your photos and actual BMI are not concerning to me however for healing issues and I suspect that if you have surgery by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon you will have a great result.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

High BMI Is Associated With Increase Risk Of Complications

+2

There is an association of risk with body weight.  The typical area of concern is a BMI>30 and especially >35.  BMI's of 25-30 may have a slight increase in risk, but not one that you should be overly concerned about.

John Whitt, MD

Complications with Higher Body Weight

+1

Yes, the higher the body weight, the higher the complication rate. Additionally, the higher the body weight, the harder it is to match the improvement of the abdomen following a tummy tuck to the rest of the body. You should do well, but the more you lose before surgery generally the better your result will be (unless you take the weight loss to an extreme and become malnourished).

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon