Sarcoidosi and Facelift in Men?

patients with Sarcoidosis (therefore has a bigger change of keloids) could have a facelift or not? would you recommend it? how can men avoid the scar to be LESS visible in case the keloids appear?

Sarcoidosi and Facelift in Men?

+1

Dear Cocoliso,

Thank you for your question. I do not believe the two processes are necessarily related.  If you have and any other surgeries, or lacerations that were sutured, examine these to see if there is any abnormal healing.  Consult with an experienced plastic surgeon for your facelift.

Best Wishes,

Pablo PRichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sarcoidosis and Facelift

+1

Sarcoidosis can produce lesions of the skin and in some cases, patients can develop keloids after surgery.  I would recommend speaking with the physician treating your sarcoidosis and discussing the possibility of facelift surgery.  Your doctor may recommend certain medications to control the sarcoidosis before surgery or may decide it's not worth the risk.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male face lifting

+1

Sarcoidosis and keloid formation are 2 completely separate healing processes that are not related to each other. Please see the link below  to examine incisions in front and behind the ears on our male facelift patients.

Can I have a facelift if I have Sarcoidosis?

+1

I don't think that there is a correlation between Sarcoid and keloids. Keloids form when there is n excess production of collagen in a healing wound. This results in a scar that grows beyond the bounds of the initial incision. It often takes on a mushroom like appearance. Keloids commonly occur in the ear lobe where people have had their ear pierced. I would consult with an experienced surgeon who can give you a thorough examination to determine if you have any keloids. If in fact you do keloid I would be very cautious about having a facelift.

Sarcoidosis is an autoimmune disease which mean that it is an inflammatory disease caused by your bodies immune system attacking itself. The main concern with sarcoidosis and facelift surgery is the condition of your immune system. If you are on steroids or anti-rejection medications you can compromise your body's ability to heal properly. You would definitely want clearance from your rheumatologist before considering surgery. I would consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon who can review your medical history and determine whether or not you are a good candidate for surgery.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Sarcoidosis and Facelift

+1

Although sarcoidosis and keloid formation are more common in the African American population, I am not sure that there is a correlation between the two pathologies.  Sarcoidoisis is a noninfectious granulomatous disease, and keloids are an abnormal, exuberant response to healing.  If you have ever pierced your ears and formed a keloid and/or you have formed a keloid in response to injury in the past, the likelihood of keloid formation is relatively high and I would avoid having a facelift.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon