Mini Tummy Tuck. Just Skin Tightening? (photo)

I would like the skin (only) on my abdomen tightened via c-section scar (only) as u can see I have dog ears but am not willing to have a hip-hip my muscles are quite tight and i have no diastasis if i do its under 1/2 inch vertically i wear a size 0 or 1 i work out on a regular basis and have an issue with the fact that my left inframmory fold has partially removed. Blosters should have been used with my tissue matrix for better result, can i get a smooth look via c-section vs. Full abdplasty

Mini vs. Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

It is unlikely that you will achieve the aesthetic results you are looking for without a full tummy tuck operation.  In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present in consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

I would suggest that you meet with board-certified plastic surgeons when the time is right for you.

Mini Tummy Tuck. Just Skin Tightening?

+2

This is a common question and understandable regarding concerns over scarring. Although the scar is somewhat long, it is a thin white line placed so low that it is easily hidden by swimwear. In your case, the damaged skin extends far above the umbilicus and cannot be corrected without a full abdominoplasty. So it is a trade off for you and only you can decide which result you prefer, your current state of damaged skin and a scar from the c-section or tighter skin over the front of the entire abdomen with a thin low scar . The mini TT will be of no benefit to you as all the bad skin above the belly button will be unchanged.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Mini vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+2

Based on your photo, you would be best served by undergoing a full tummy tuck. There is extra skin throughout your abdomen, including the area above your belly button. A mini-tummy tuck will only address the skin below your belly button. If you decide to have the mini-tummy tuck, you will be disappointed with the results.

Thank you for your question and photo. Best of luck with your decision!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck. Just Skin Tightening?

+2

I feel that doing an operation through the current incision only would be pointless, as would doing a mini-tummy tuck. 

As a rule of thumb, the incision must extend about an inch beyond any visible laxity, or the improvement will be incomplete, and an imbalance will be obvious. 

I see as much lax skin above the navel as below, so tightening only the lower abdominal skin would leave a bizarre appearance, with tight lower skin, lax upper skin. A mini-TT only improves the skin below the navel.

As to muscle repair, that my well be unnecessary. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.
Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Multiple issues may be present

+1

Thank you for the question.  It appears that you have several issues occurring with your abdominal area.  An in depth discussion and examination would be ideal to form an accurate abdominal contouring plan for you and this will require that you seek several consultations with well trained board certified plastic surgeons in your community.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Plastic surgeons hate unrealistic expectations

+1

Good communication between physician and patient is essential for a satisfactory surgical outcome to be achieved. Patients frequently 'direct' their plastic surgeons to perform grossly inadequate procedures on the basis of anticipated cost saving, perceived scar reduction, flawed body image or misinformation from the internet.

The medical marketplace panders to this natural desire to get something for nothing (or for less). Thus we have terms like mini tummy-tuck, mini facelift, weekend lift, lifestyle lift etc. etc. Procedures that should be performed under general anesthesia are often carried out riskily under 'local' with the erroneous implication that the operation is somehow 'less invasive' and safer.

My advice to you is to see up to three Board Certified Plastic Surgeons and tell each of them what you don't like about your tummy. Listen to the proposed solutions carefully and make sure you understand the reasoning. If it is not clear to you, do not proceed. It is not in your interest to tell the surgeon how to do the operation because a person who acts as her own doctor has a fool for patient.

J. Brian Boyd, MD