Will Face Revert to Pre-Facelift Appearance Within a Year? (photo)

Hello, I've had a 4 consultations for an upper/lower bleph & a face/neck lift. The last doctor I saw said that I didn't have enough skin to remove !?), and that within 8 months of the facelift my face and neck would go back to looking the same as prior to the operation. He said the risks would outweigh the few benefits. What gives? My face is a train wreck. I WANT the lift, but I want it to last for a while and not give out within a year or two. I'm 51. P.S. Any way to straighten my mouth?

Facelift Results

+2

Thank you for the question and your photos.  I agree with the others here that you would benefit from a facelift and neck lift.  There appears to be sufficient laxity and jowls, and a significant improvement in your jawline and neck can be expected.  Any facelift surgeon that says the procedure will only last one year is probably not someone who is comfortable doing the procedure... In my practice, I perform a deep plane facelift. In my opinion, this gives the longest-lasting and most natural-appearing results.  In most patients, this should be about 10 years.  Best of luck moving forward!

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

A facelift will tighten your jawline and should last many years

+1

Thank you for your question.  From your photographs it appears that a facelift will help you to tighten the jaw line neck and face.

A properly none facelift and neck lift should last for many years sometimes more than 10.

I suggest you search for a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and also a member of the American Association of Anesthetic Plastic Surgeons who is known for his or her facelift results.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Facelift candidate

+1

It appears that you would be able to see a cosmetic benefit from a facelift - you have loose skin of the jowl area & neck and have lost volume in your cheeks (I'd recommend a facelift & fat grafting).  You should see the benefit for at least 10 years or more.  Look for a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who has expertise or extra training in facial surgery before making a decision.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Facelift should last more than one year

+1

From the photos you've submitted it looks like you would benefit from a face and neck lift. When performed by an experienced surgeon the results should last more than one year.

You can combine the facelift surgery with blepharoplasty to address your eyes as well, of course.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Will Face Revert to Pre-Facelift Appearance Within a Year?

+1

Dear Citroen,

Thank you for your question and photos.  Certainly you would benefit from a face lift.  You have relatively good quality skin and with a thorough facelift addressing the muscle droop more than the skin, you will have a long lasting result.  Make sure you find a surgeon who is well qualified and has before and after photos that you like and fits your goals.  The following link is an example.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Will facelift revert to the prefacelift appearance in a year?

+1

One problem with speaking to several doctors is getting several different opinions.  I think that everyone on this board would agree that you have enough laxity and jowling, that a lift would be advisable and would improve your facial appearance.  And I don't think anyone on this board thinks that your face will revert to its prelift appearance any time soon.  And yes, steps can be taken to try to improve your mouth.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Will face revert to pre-facelift appearance within a year?

+1

Whenever a facelift is performed, there should be some type of noticeable difference. There will not be a situation where you go through all the effort to have surgery and there is absolutely no improvement. This is assuming your procedure was performed correctly by a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon with great credentials. Another thing you may want to consider is that a full facelift is not the only procedure that you may benefit from. For example, depending on the patient, a mini facelift may be adequate. In comparison:

1) Traditional facelift: a great option for a patient with more advanced signs of aging who wants to refresh their neck, jawline, and cheeks.
2) Mini facelift: A less invasive facelift that rejuvenates the lower third of the face, including the jowls and neck.

There are also  a variety of additional procedures that can be used in conjunction with a facelift or mini facelift to achieve optimal results. These options include but are not limited to:

1) Liposuction of the jowl or neck
2) Fat transfer to the face
3) Cheek implants

Technique varies from surgeon to surgeon, and one can only tell what would be best for you following a thorough exam. Ways to straighten the mouth would depend on the cause of asymmetry, and this can also be advised during an exam. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Addressing facial aging means lifting what has descended and adding volume where it was lost

+1

Facial aging has basically two parts: one is the weakening and sagging of the soft tissue, and the other is volume loss. A jowl could mean laxity. The skin and the supporting tissue under the skin referred to as the SMAS (superficial musculoaponeurotic system) has descended. As we get older, we lose bone, muscle and fat, which is why lose volume.

Facelift regression has to do with the surgeon’s experience and the type of skin you have. For most face lifting surgery, regardless of who does the surgery, there is a certain amount of elastic regression of the skin. In other words, even if the face is very tight at the beginning, there will always be a little bit of regression. However, I can’t do a physical exam based only on your photo so I would respect the opinion of the surgeon who has examined you.

For most of my patients, I would recommend a combination of lifting and adding volume. Strategically, some patients can also add volume intra-operatively like a cheek implant or sub-malar implant. Volume can be added to in the mid-face by placing a chin implant to add some projection of the chin so the jaw line looks enhanced. When I do my surgeries for my patients, I'll try to compensate for the variability between the two sides of the face, but I can't make it perfectly symmetric because symmetry is based on bone structure that underlies the skin. So I can would probably not recommend anything like straightening of the mouth but injectables may help balance your mouth.   I hope that was helpful, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

How long does a face lift last

+1

Thank you for asking about face lift results.

• Your fourth face lift opinion sounds as though you consulted someone who does not do face lift surgery. 
  • A well-done face lift with deep tissue tightening has permanent results.
  • Face lifts last longer when done before 50 - according to research.
  • An early (2-5 years) face lift tightening is more likely after 50  to touch up results.
  • Choose the Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has the time and interest for you. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

How Long does a Facelift Last?

+1

I do think that you would benefit from a facelift.  I would do a mini-facelift as you don't have excessive laxity.  In my hands, a mini-facelift lasts 7-8 years.  I completely disagree with the doctor who told you that the laxity would return in a year.  

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon