Blepharoplasty and Subclinical Hypothyroid?

I have subclinical hypothyroid that my gp doesn't think is necessary to treat. Except for some hair loss, I am asymptomatic. My eyes *may* have slight edema in addition to ptosis, hooding, excess fat, laxity etc. (It's hard to tell the difference between edema and fat.) What are the chances that I will develop malar festoons and/or have lymphatic drainage issues associated with my condition? I really want surgery, but I don't want to be foolish.

Mild hypothyroid should be no contraindication to blepharoplasty.

+1

Provided you are metabolically stable I see no contraindication to blepharoplasty because of mild hypothyroidism.

+1

Eyelid surgery with normal levels of circulating thyroid hormone should be uneventful.  Eyelid surgery depending upon what is done and individual healing characteristics may have a remote chance of impeding longterm lymphovascular return.  However, in most cases, this is not an issue.  Festoons have a multifactorial etiology and are hard to predict the course.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

We can't really answer a specific question about your eyes without photos, but a blepharoplasty is certainly a possibility and you should get as good a result as any other patient. Your thyroid status is not an issue as long as your hormone levels are normal. If they are not normal you need to speak with an endocrine specialist and become normalized before any surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Eyelid surgery and hypothyroidism

+1

As long as your baseline  thyroid levels are normal, you should heal quite well from any type of blepharoplasty. Performing a blepharoplasty should not create  festoons. A second opinion from an endocrinologist  who specializes in thyroid disorders may be of benefit.

Blepharoplasty and Thyroid Conditions

+1

Thank you for the great question. It is appropriate to be cautious, but, if you're thyroid hormone levels and general medical condition are stable then you should be able to move forward. In your pre-operative meeting with your surgeon, all of this information can be reviewed.

In the case of thyroid conditions, you may have both edema and extra fat. This doesn't make surgery a bad option, but may require a specific approach to address skin, muscle, and fat.

Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after eyelid surgery

+1

The chances of postoperative swelling is not significantly greater in your case than a normal case. The type and technique of the procedure also matters. Some procedures can cause more swelling as does more aggressive surgery. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Have blepharoplasties?

+1

If your thyroid condition is controlled, you should be able to have blepharoplasties. If you are destined to have festoons, I don't think that blepharoplasties will have any affect towards them. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon