Suggestion on Pro Bono Tummy Tuck And/or Breast Reduction? (photo)

I am a single mom looking for someone who does Pro Bono work. I have been to 4 different plastic surgeon to get pricing and all are too much for me. I have tried a research study for tummy tuck and I did not qualify because my tummy tuck is too extreme, I need a full tummy reconstruction the dr. informed me. I weigh about 150 and im 5'7. I really want to find a Dr. with a kind heart who wants to change someones life. If I had the money I would pay myself, but I don't. Someone please help me.

Reduced price tummy tuck

+6

Please understand that all plastic surgeons have done enormous amounts of probono work and continue to do so when patients require care for trauma or cancer and cannot pay.  But a tummy tuck is purely elective surgery and the surgeon takes on literally thousands of dollars of their own cost to do the surgery what with paying their nurses, anesthesia, rent, insurance, and all the sutures and products to do the surgery.  In this economy I don't think you will find anyone who is a well qualified plastic surgeon willing to absorb thousands of dollars of unpaid costs to help you out.  But you can contact your regional University hospital and see if they have a plastic surgery training program where cosmetic surgery is done by residents in training for discounted fees.  Good luck.

Suggestion on Pro Bono Tummy Tuck And/or Breast Reduction?

+2
Thank you for the question. What patients may not realize is how much “overhead” is associated with performing good quality and safe elective plastic surgery. In other words, there are significant expenses, outside of surgeons fees, associated with these types of operations. Therefore, it will be unlikely that “pro bono” elective plastic surgery will be available to you. Best wishes.

+2

Unfortunately running a surgery practice is quite an expensive proposition, even more so if there is a surgical facility involved. If we had no charge for a procedure then we are actually paying that patient to have surgery since we still have to cover all the costs of supplies, personnel, insurance, utilities and on and on. I think you understand. Many of us do some degree of pro bono work for necessary reconstructive procedures, but not for cosmetic surgery. I tell patients their cosmetic surgery expenses should come from that part of their budget that might go for vacations, etc, not the money for rent and education.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+2

Dr Rand is more than correct as the costs are out of the surgeon's pocket. For example the costs in my office operating room TOTAL for TT + Breast reduction runs around $5,000! So you can not expect a doctor who you do not even know to offer you a gift of $5K do you??? So just to be devil's advocate I could do ALL this surgery for $5K BUT you need to fly in to MIAMI stay a week than fly back. Just the travel & lodging & local transportation costs would be near $5K. So you would be spending approx. $10K. I'm sure you could find a local CA PS who would do your surgery for $10K. 

ProBono Mommy Makeover?

+1

I echo what my colleagues have said. We all perform probono work in cases of accidents, crime victims, military injuries, and cancer patients. It is not reasonable to expect a plastic surgeon to gift you an elective mommy makeover. Plastic surgery is a luxury and unfortunately not everyone who wants it will be able to afford it. If you are unable to finance your surgery, you may be able to find a resident clinic where prices are greatly reduced.

Matthew Schulman, MD