Artefill for Chin Vs Traditional Chin Implant?

I am debating between using artefill for a chin augmentation or just going for a chin implant, economically speaking which one would cost more? I am interested in vertical height to the chin from the front view, not so much in the profile but i noticed from a lot the after pictures of chin implants; they all seem to have a very rounded look, whereas i am more interested in a sharper more defined look. My chin right now is average looking but i just want to give it a little more vertical height.

Chin Implant vs Filler

+1

Solid Chin Implants are more predictable and will give the best long term result. I would suggest an absorbable filler (NOT Artefill) only if you want to have an idea in advance of what you might look like with a chin augmentation. Photo workshop imaging is also a helpful tool for this.

Chin implant or filler

+1

The primary goal for a chin implant is to give more anterior projection.  The second goal of the chin implant procedure is to give vertical height and lateral width.  The size and shape of the chin implant is determined at the time of the consultation.  Implants come in many different sizes and shapes and can give more rounded or squared jaw appearance, depending upon the patient’s desires.  The chin implant procedure can be performed under local or general anesthesia depending upon the patient’s comfort level.

Implant vs. Filler For Vertical Chin Augmentation

+1

Increasing the vertical height of the chin is the one dimension that traditional chin implants do not do with the exception of a geniomandiobular groove implant made by just one manufacturer. The only reason to do fillers instead of going right to an implant is to see if you like the result that is created. If you don't then it is completely reversible. (although computer imaging will create the same effect) When it comes to economics the discussion of which is more economic is a very short-term view. Fillers are the least expensive option today but not in the long run. Fillers also can not give sharper definition to the chin which a well shaped implant can do if desired.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin Implant vs Filler

+1

Cost should only be one factor and not the deciding factor in your decision for chin augmentation.  In general, I do not prefer using permanent fillers because there are some risks involved with it, mainly if you are unsatisfied with its placement and require surgical removal.  A better alternative would be a long lasting, but temporary, filler such as Radiesse or Perlane.  

If you are mainly interested in enhancing vertical height and not projection, a chin implant may or may not be the solution.  I would recommend a consultation to evaluate your current chin and how best to augment your chin to fit the rest of your face.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Surgical versus nonsurgical chin augmentation

+1

Good morning Santa Clara

I completely agree with Dr. Mabrie's comments. I prefer Radiesse over Artefill for the same reasons mentioned but in addition I do not use artificial and large volumes because in very rare cases permanent component of artificial could become infected and would have to be surgically removed. I've never seen it and I don't know any of my colleagues who had this happen but it has been reported as a surgical principle you have to realize that if that foreign body is infected it must be removed. The same is true of an implant however it's also very rare and removing a chin implant section quite easy. The risks of chin implants are:

1.numbness of the lower lip that can last a few weeks or be long-term. In the literature your risks of this is about 5% of personally not had a case last more than a few weeks.

2. Infections a possibility though I've never seen it personally and it's very infrequent. It's even less infrequent if you place the chin implant through an incision under your chin versus going to the mouth. Going to the mouth may be attractive but it is associated with higher risks of infection and longer healing time and higher risk of lower lip numbness.

Thank you for your inquiry I hope that was helpful.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse is great for non-surgical chin augmentation

+1

The good news for you first, chin augmentation, whether surgical or non-surgical, is a very safe and predictable procedure with typically fantastic results! 

1. Long term financial costs will be about the same over time.
  2. Surgical chin implant will give more dramatic results and can be combined with neck liposuction.
  3. Fillers can give 50-60% of the results of a surgical procedure and are appropriate for mild/moderate cases.
  4. Artefill is nice in that it is permanent, but doesn't have the bulk and strength of Radiesse.

Surgical  chin implant is probably best for severe cases, non-surgical chin augmentation with fillers is great for all other cases.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

+1

They will both augment the chin. There are arguments for or against both. Chin implants will give immediate results but it takes a surgery with all its risks: implant infection and malposition, wrong size/shape implant, injury to the mental nerves... Artefill is irreversible but we can reduce the risk by building up the chin gradually without any surgical risks. It is more flexible since we are not limited to any particular size or shape. Costs depends on the amount of augmentation you need.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

They both can augment the chin, but if you don't like the results for some reason you can have the implant removed. That is not the case for artefill.  Go with the implant.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Artefill versus chin implant

+1

Chin implants can work well to augment the chin and Artefill can be used to augment the chin as well.  Without seeing you or pictures of you, it's impossible to give you advice as to which might be better for you.  The cost of either a chin implant or Artefill is going to vary from doctor to doctor.  It's also impossible to know an exact cost of the Artefill, as it's a very individualized treatment and requires multiple treatment sessions to achieve the desired result.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon