Does higher price mean more skill?

I have been to a consultation with one doctor and the total cost of rhinoplasty with a chin implant is going to be $10,280. When I see morphed nose done on the computer I am not loving it enough to spend that much money, there are other doctors in town cheaper. Before and afters don't help because i don't know what the client asked for. So does a higher price mean more skill? Would I be better off going to Beverly Hills to get it done, rather than Santa Barbara?

Price Is A Factor Of Many Things, And Skill Is Only One Component.

+2

Dear Kirstynashlee:

You raise an excellent question.The single most important statement made was that "when I see a morphed nose done on a computer, I am not loving it enough to spend that much money."That tells you that is not the right office.If it was the cheapest office, it should not make any difference, because you need to be satisfied.You need to have confidence that going into the procedure the surgeon can accomplish what you wish to have done.This is extremely important.You noted that "before and afters" don't help because "you don't know what the client asked for."

Well, I think you are underestimating the value of looking at before and afters.The value is to see what the surgeon's art form is to be able to understand what he is achieving.Most people want to see natural results.They want to see results that are appropriately sized for the face and looks so they fit on the face and that one would never know they had a different nose than what was delivered with the rest of their body.

Higher price does not necessarily mean more skill.Remember that the fees are related to the practices' cost of doing business.It certainly costs a lot more to practice in New York City or Beverly Hills than it does in Santa Barbara.Likewise, it costs more to practice in Santa Barbara than it does in Santa Maria.

The most important thing is you are comfortable with the fee; no one should spend their last dollar on elective surgery.Equally important is you have to feel comfortable that the doctor who you would like to have do it will satisfy you, and the more consultations you have, the more comfortable you will be with making the right decision.I suggest you visit a lot of websites, look at the before and afters carefully, look at the computer imaging results, and read books.Study up.

Typically, consultations are extremely valuable if the surgeon spends time with you, focuses on your desires, fears and concerns.You do not want to go to a production-line practice.Some production-line practices are expensive, and other production-line practices are inexpensive, so there is not necessarily a correlation.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Correlation Between Price and Results

+2

Although cost is an one important consideration in rhinoplasty surgery there is no correlation between the price and results. Select an experienced surgeon whose results you like, not the one who charges the most.

Price and skill

+2

Thank you for your question. It's one of the best questions I have yet to receive. There are a lot of plastic surgeons that would have you believe that higher price means a better surgeon. That is what they are figuring you will think. You should avoid price extremes on either end, that is, too cheap or too expensive. The most important thing is to choose a surgeon you think does the best work. The average price for a rhinoplasty without chin implant, all costs included, would be around $8000, so figure about $10,000 with the chin implant. So the surgeon you went to is only slightly more than average price.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Choosing a surgeon for quality results

+2

Its best to shop quality, not price since this is your face. The combination of rhinoplasty and chin implant can be difficult to get it right, so best to find a surgeon who performs both procedures frequently. Computer imaging is also helpful in the communication process with your surgeon. For many examples of rhinoplasty and chin implant, our price list, please see the link below

Higher price does not necessarily mean more skill

+2

Sometimes price is dictated by the surrounding market and demographics in the area. Sometimes the price is justified by the skill and sometimes it is not. At the end of the day price is just one concern. Rhinoplasty surgery is in my opinion one of the hardest surgeries to get just right. The outcome is dependent on a change of a few millimeters and experience and frequency of doing the procedure makes a difference. Certainly looking at representative before and after pictures are important but these are usually the best works of the surgeon. Having a good dialogue with your surgeon is very important because they must have the same or similar expectations in the outcome of your surgery. Seek out several surgeons for consultations and talk to some of their patients who are willing to discuss their experience with you. Take your time doing your research and ultimately weigh every factor (expertise, reviews from patients, outcome from photographs, confidence in surgeon) before making your decision.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Rhinoplasty/Chin Implant

+2

First of all, it's most important that your surgeon shares your aesthetic eye and understands what you are seeking. Often times a more skilled surgeon will charge more, but there are other factors that are involved in the cost, most notably having a board certified anesthesiologist and a certified, accredited operating room, for example. This is your face, so please do your research as you do not want to undergo revision surgery later, which is usually more costly. Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with your rhinoplasty/chin implant as well as help you visualize your computer morphing 3-dimensionally.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Does higher price mean more skill?

+2

Very skilled surgeons tend to be more expensive. However, that is not a guarantee. Your most important benchmark should be whether you like the before and afters for people with similar concerns, does the videoimaging look right and do you trust that surgeon. Price should be a secondary concern. If the surgeon that meets all those criteria is less expensive congratulations! If they're on the more expensive end, it is better to wait a little longer and save rather than proceed with a cheaper (not necessarily better) surgeon.

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty price and quality.

+2

Rhinoplasty price does NOT correlate with quality per se. Experienced surgeons like myself charge more because of that quality. However the patient can see other surgeons that charge as much with poorer results. Look at the results! Meet his live patients to see these.

Find a rhinoplasty surgeon that impresses you.

+2

Hi Kirsty,

You are fortunate that you live in an area with many plastic surgeons (Southern California). You should find a plastic surgeon that has impeccable credentials, much experience and specializes in aesthetic surgery and rhinoplasty. You can narrow down your search by seeking someone who is a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) as well as The Rhinoplasty Society. Once you have found someone then you consider cost. You should look for someone who will not rush through your consult or your surgery. I imagine you would like to only have this done once.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Cost

+2

Great question and I would have to say that cost is not necessarily an indication of skill. That said I would want my images morphed to you see the projected result YOU want then ask whether that is realistic. That is what we do in my office and I am close to you.

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon