Not a Candidate For a Tummy Tuck Because of 4 Bad Hernia Surgeries? (photo)

I had them in 2009-2011 due to being punctured from a colonoscopy. Now in my last one I had to have a 12x12 piece of mesh put in my stomach so the hernias would not come back. I was told I could not get a TT because my organs have connected to the mesh now and could be pulled out and have more damage done. Is there anyway I can ever have a tummy tuck to get back my flat stomach?

Not a Candidate For a Tummy Tuck Because of 4 Bad Hernia Surgeries?

+2

A modified tummy tuck may be possible here, but examination would be imperative here.   The risk for infection would be higher in your case given the previous operations, infection, and mesh placement.           Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+2

I am not sure that I understand the rationale you were given. A TT would not involve entering the abdominal cavity, so the caution while appropriate is not entirely applicable. 

What could be done safely is removing and tightening the excess skin. What could not be done safely is tightening the abdominal muscles. 

Best answer will come from an in person consultation, including an examination. Your plastic surgeon will want to see operative reports from your surgeries, and will want to be certain the there are currently no hernias. 

All the best. 

Tummy Tuck After Multiple Hernia Repairs

+2

Dear Mia 229,

Safety should be a number one priority, but it is possible to improve the contour and shape of your abdomen.

Please see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation. It will be very helpful for you have to copies of your medical records including all operative reports, discharge summaries, medical evaluations, and any recent CAT scans.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Tummy tuck after hernia repair

+2

Thank you for asking about a tummy tuck after your complex hernia repairs.

A standard tummy tuck is not a good idea. Minor skin procedures could improve your tummy. Get copies of your operative notes and consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Ask the plastic surgeon to discuss his/her plan with your last hernia surgeon. Avoid any surgery that goes down to the mesh risking infection. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

A tummy tuck in your case will be riskier and more difficult than in a standard case. You will likely be able to find someone to do the surgery. Personally, I would turn you down because of the risk.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD