Treatment Advice for this new 20-stitch forehead scar

3 days ago I fell and smashed my forehead open on our flagstone patio. I went to the ER and had it stitched up - 20 stitches total. I work in sales and am concerned about minimizing scarring and my best course of treatment now and in the future. I am scheduled to have the stitches removed this Friday, 7 days after the injury. Please let me know if you have any recommendations - thank you.

Scar advice for traumatic laceration

+2
I agree with the comments made here, sun protection, gentle skin care will be the most important thing. I personally find the "scar creams" to have inflated claims with minimal scientific evidence. Laser resurfacing can help improve the appearance of the scar, see a well trained physician with expertise in lasers. 

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment Advice for this new 20 stitch forehead scar

+2
You will need to keep these sutures moist with an ointment such as Bacitracin until they're removed. At that point you will need to protect the scar from the sun with sunblock and a hat. There are many topical scar gels that will also aid your healing once the sutures are removed. You should also consult with a Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist to determine if you would benefit from scar injections, dermabrasion/ laser resurfacing or scar revision. You can expect this scar to be prominent for several months but after that point, if it's properly treated, the scar should begin to blend in. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment advice for forehead wound

+2
Once you have the sutures removed, one of the most important things to do is to use sun protection.  The wound should also be followed as it heals to make sure it is healing the best that it can.  It can take 6-12 months for it to heal completely.  If there are any issues with it after that time, there may be other treatments that can be done to help.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon