I'm having subglandular double luman implants removed with lift at the same time under local anesthesia. Any feedback?

I'm having 23 year old double luman sub glandular implants (silicone inside center luman and saline in the outer smooth luman ) removed with lift at the same time under local. I've done many procedures with just a local with no issues. In fact, the implants were put in under straight local, no sedation and all I felt was some tugging or pressure at times. No issues with the implants except there is a small amount of hardness on the top of the left one. Feeback?

Breast Implant Removal and Breast Lift under Local Anesthesia?

+1

Most plastic surgeons would perform your surgery under full anesthesia or MAC. That being said, it is not mandatory. One issue might be some discomfort in removing the implant capsule and scar tissue off the chest wall.  This can cause pain. Another issue. This surgery may take 1 and 1/2 to 2 or 3 hours.  That is a long time to lay there awake being cut on.

Recommendations:

• Check to make sure that your plastic surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, Inc.
  • Make certain that the facility you are having the procedure is a licensed and accredited surgical facility.  AAAASF, JAHCO and state certified are common certifying entities.

To be sure, see two or more board certified plastic surgeons for a consultation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

+1
First question that comes to my mind, is when did you have these implants placed?  Because in the USA you have to be 22 to receive silicone implants, and I don't even know anyone who does double-lumens anymore.  Secondly, it would be much wiser to have the implants removed, allow the healing to take place, at least 6-8 months, and then get the lift.  Doing them in one sitting will definitely increase your chance of complications.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

+1
I would suspect, based on your question, that you have an understanding that most plastic surgeons would not recommend having the procedures you are considering done,  performed under local anesthesia. I would not offer you this as an option. I believe that most patients undergoing extensive breast surgery, benefit from  the use of anesthesia for many reasons; comfort, immobility, maintaining symmetry...  For these reasons, I prefer the use of general anesthesia for most procedures (except for uncomplicated breast implant removal), provided by experienced board-certified anesthesiologists in a fully accredited surgery center.  Ultimately, it is each individual patient's responsibility to select their plastic surgeon carefully; doing so, in my opinion, is the most important decision the patient makes when it comes to achieving the desired outcome in a safe and complication free fashion as possible. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast implant removal concerns, helpful to you. Best wishes.

#Explant - double luman implants removed with lift under local

+1
While some explants can be performed under local anesthesia alone, I would almost recommend that the procedures you're planning to have done - removal of subglandular implants with a simultaneous lift - be done under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia.  These procedures can take a while (several hours) and for both your comfort and the surgeon's ability to do whatever needs to be done (including adjustments of the lift, control of bleeding, etc) I would advise more anesthesia than just local alone.  It might be okay to plan to start this under local as long as you're in a situation and facility that would allow conversion to any deeper forms of anesthesia that are necessary or desirable.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS