Scar Treatment For Breast Reduction? (photo)

I had my stitches removed yesterday from my breast reduction . I am 16 days post op . When can I start using the silicon sheets on my scars? Or any creams like mederma ?

Incision Line Care after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to advice regarding incision line care. You may find that every surgeon has his/her preferences. Generally speaking, the use of silicone-based products ( gel or sheeting) may be helpful. Massage and or the use of tape  may also be helpful. 

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

When to start scar treatments after breast reduction

+1

Hi. Congratulations on your recent surgery. Usually you can start scar treatments anywhere between 2-4 weeks after surgery. If you have skin glue in place, I would wait for that to all come off before putting anything on your incisions. Also make sure there are not any open areas, and that you are not rubbings these products on too hard for the first few weeks, as your scars are not yet at full strength. Keep in mind that you should continue these treatments for at least 6 months, as scars continue to remodel for the first year after surgery. 

Tracy Kadkhodayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment

+1

You need to wait until your incisions are completely closed with no drainage at all before beginning any scar treatment.  I would advise seeing your surgeon for an evaluation before beginning scar treatment.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment For Breast Reduction?

+1

Since we are NOT your trading surgeons we can not offer you directed advise. In general I revcopmmend scar therapy at 3 weeks post op. 

Scar treatment for breast reduction scars

+1

Ideally you should wait till the scars heal over and it is robust before using silicone or creams. In the interim you can use micropore tape over the scar, micropore tape is made of paper and sticks very well to the skin. It doesn't need to be changed daily and a change once a week is enough. You can have a shower with it on and let it dry. I routinely use this on my breast reduction scars and the patients are happy

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Scar creams and silicone sheeting do not improve the results of scars after breast reduction.

+1

The best way to get good results from scarring after breast reduction is to leave the incisions alone. Were scar creams and silicone sheeting do not hurt the wound, there is no evidence that they help him either.

Scar treatment

+1

I think you have to wait to allow your wounds to heal more before applying creams or silicone sheeting. You should ask you surgeon what he prefers.