Scar revision spread apart, why?

I had a scar revision on my cheek that widen even with a 2 layered sutures (One deep absorbable sutures and another on the surface. My doctor sutured it everted so it looked like a caterpillar when I had stitches. Why did it widen? I am 3 months out.

Spreading scars

+1

It sounds like your doctor used appropriate measures to try to prevent scar widening. In addition to the mentioned measures, anti-tension taping for a few months after suture removal may be helpful.The sad truth is that not everyone's skin is capable of healing into fine lines. I, myself tend to create spread/thin scars as I heal - it is my tissue type!

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision on the face

+1

Tension my exert effects on the scar, even in the early stage. I would employ options that minimize tension.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS