Which Plastic Surgeon Should I Choose for BA? Is On-site or Off-site Surgery Better?

Which surgeon should I choose? I've narrowed it down to 2. PS#1 is a lot older, has more experience, has an on-site surgery room, and offers free revisions if it is needed(still need to pay anesthesiologist though). The only problem is, there is a possibility he may retire soon. PS#2 is younger, has excellent credentials, surgery will be off-site at a surgery center. Both doctors were very nice and understood what I want, and recommended me the same thing. Is on-site or off-site surgery better?

Plastic Surgery Facility for Breast Augmentation

+2

In my view, whether the surgical facility is on or off site makes no difference.  You should check to make sure both facilities are accredited by a recognized body such as the Joint Commission or the AAAASF, but assuming this is the case, where the facility is located need not be an issue.

Have you checked into each plastic surgeon's background pretty thoroughly?  If one is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the other is not, that could be a deciding factor.  You should also make sure each one has privileges at a hospital near by, just in case of emergency.

Assuming the credentials of each facility and each surgeon check out, go with your gut feeling.  If you like the older surgeon better and you're concerned he may retire just at the time you need a revision, you could find out if another surgeon might be taking over the practice. 

Good job in consulting at least two surgeons.  And good luck!

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Which surgeon to choose

+1

It sounds like either surgeon is a good choice.  An on site operating room is convenient but there is nothing wrong with using a separate surgicenter.  I say choose the surgeon you like the most and had the best connection with.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Choosing a surgeon for breast augmentation.

+1

It sounds like you've done a good job in assessing to possible surgeons. Both should be board certified in plastic surgery. The facility should be properly accredited. The surgeon should have the privilege of doing a breast augmentation in a hospital indicating that he is gone through peer review for that procedure.

On-site or Off-site Surgery

+1

So long as both are doing surgery  in approved operating rooms I see no advantage of one over the other. I would ignore that, and choose by the remaining criteria you are considering. Sounds like you have two good choices.  All the best.