Moderate or Moderate+ for a Natural Full C Look?

Hi - I went from a small C to a small B after nursing my kids. I would like to be a full C (maybe small D). I'm 5'2" and weigh 115 lbs. Breast diameters 14 or 15. I'm thinking 375 cc silicone gel for a full C. For a more natural look, would you recommend moderate over moderate+ even though I'm more flatter on top now? In my situation, where would you recommend the incision site? Thank you.

Choosing a moderate vs moderate + implant

+2

Thank you for your question.  This is a very common question for women trying to decide on a breast implant.  

A number of issues to into selecting an appropriate breast implant for augmentation.  Probably the most important first step is seeking the assistance of a qualified plastic surgeon during a consultation at the office. He or she can then examine you and help determine which implant is best for you given your exam.  Important factors to take into consideration is your goal size (example pictures from magazines can be very helpful), the width of your breast, how much excess skin you have, and the position of your nipples.  Without photographs, it is difficult to make any kind of recommendations.  

For a more natural look, you will want an implant that has a diameter that is smaller than the width of your breast.  If the moderate profile implant does not offer enough volume for that given width, then a moderate + implant, or an implant that has more projection for a given width will often be a better choice.  Your plastic surgeon can help guide you down this sometimes confusing road!  Good luck.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Moderate or Moderate Plus Implant - Which is right for you?

+2

In my experience, most patients prefer the projection of a moderate plus implant.  It gives the desired fullness in the upper pole of the breast, but still maintains a natural shape.  As always, a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help you make the best choice for you.

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Definitely Moderate Plus

+2

I would never use Mentor's Moderate implants unless a patient's dimensions and desires absolutely warrant it...given your height and weight its not even an option! The Moderate Plus implants give the most natural results possible and the best approach is through the inferior border of the areola and straight under the muscle...the incision gives excellent exposure to the infra-mammary fold and yields consistently good results with an almost invisible scar...Good luck!

Eric Sadeh, MD

+2

Thanks very much for your question.  It's impossible to say with certainty without a photo or a consultation.  However, I usually use a moderate plus in that size range for most patients who want a full C.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a breast implant

+2

One of the most difficult things for a prospective patient, is choosing her implants. There is so much information available on line regarding volume, shape, and profile, it can be very confusing.

There are several ways to choose one's implant that ultimately take three elements into consideration: desired volume, base diameter (width) of the breast, and amount of upper pole fullness desired.

As a general rule, the highter the profile, the greater amount of upper pole fullness. That being said, a woman with tight breast tissue who has never had any children may look fuller than a woman who has some deflational changes from breast feeding even with the same implant.

I recommend that you work closely with your board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your goals and choose the implant that will achieve your desired look. We have found 3D breast simulation systems to be very useful in this process and you may want to explore this with your surgeon as well.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Moderate or moderate plus

+2

Hi Smurfette,

Based on your desires and height and weight, I do not think that a moderate implant is appropriate for you.  It is way too wide.  You should be considering either the moderate plus or the high profile implants.  Also, the fact that you are post partum and have dropped in size suggests that you will require an implant with a bit more projection to fill your breast skin envelope.

Good Luck,

Ary Krau MD FACS

Ary Krau, MD, FACS

Implant choice

+2

The best way to evaluate the right implant for you would be to see  you in consultation.  Moderate implants are fairly flat and moderate plus have more projection.

Choosing implant projection

+2

A moderate implant gives a more natural look and more fullness up top which usually becomes deflated after pregnancy and lactation. As long as your breast width is the same or larger than the width of your chosen implant, you will still have a nice natural look.

If your breast width is too narrow for a moderate implant in your chosen size, you'll want to move up to a moderate plus to still look natural.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Moderate vs moderate plus implants

+2

The truly most natural look comes from the moderate profile. The mod plus is built intending to give a subtle excess upper pole fullness beyond what nature can make. So while this is less "natural" it may be a "look" you want. Discuss all with your surgeon.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Moderate vs Moderate Plus

+2

It is difficult to give advice without the aid of photos. Judging from the height and weight that you have provided your breast width seems larger than I would have guessed.

Assuming 1. your breast width is 14-15 cm

2. that by flatter on top you are referring to the superior pole of the        

breast

3. 375 cc implant would be the best size to achieve your goal

Then a moderate profile implant would be a more logical choice.

You may want to consider posting pictures. I would recommend that when you are ready consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a thorough evaluation and discussion of your goals. Good Luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD