Should I get Liposuction on my arms? (photos)

I'm 56 years old and wanting to trim my arms. I eat right and workout but just want contouring. Is this the right procedure for me or will I need the long scar lift?

Liposuction of the arm

+1
Hello and thanks for your question.
Liposuction of the arm in our practice has shown to be very effective if there is good skin tonicity.
Dr Sajjadian

Liposuction or arm lift

+1
Thank you for your question about an arm lift or liposuction.
  • I would need an exam to give good advice but this is the issue -
  • Your arms look well muscled with a little fat on the under-surface and perhaps over the triceps.
  • Liposuction can remove the fullness and give you a nice result.
  • But if on exam you have more fat that the photo suggests, liposuction is likely to leave the skin loose and a combined liposuction+arm lift might be better. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Arm liposuction

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

Definitely believe that liposuction will enhance your arms.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Will I Be Satisfied with Liposuction for my Upper Arms, or Do I Need a Brachiplasty? Long Scar

+1
That depends.  I have had ladies who were very happy to get rid of the bulkiness of their arms. It made wearing clothes easier, and they weren't in the habit of showing their arms much.  If you want the maximum aesthetic operation (other than the scar), then removal of all the excess skin is needed. With respect to the scar, I place it on the lower inner arm, so it is not seen from behind, and not from in front unless you raise up and spread the arms.
 Most women, I think, will be disappointed if they get liposuction alone, even with some skin contraction, if they were expecting not to have much loose skin after removing the fat. Smart lipo may help a bit, but you will still not get a great deal of skin tightening in comparison to what you would get with a brachioplasty.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Should I get Liposuction on my arms?

+1
   I think you are probably borderline for liposuction.  An exam is often helpful to make the final decision.

Should I get Liposuction on my arms?

+1
You are correct in understanding that there are basically two general options for improving arm contour.  These options include the various types of liposuction (Vaser Lipo and Smart Lipo) as well as the various types of brachioplasty, in which both skin and fat are removed (resulting in a longer scar).  From your photos, alone, it is difficult to say which procedure would be in your best interest. At a physical exam your surgeon could examine your arms and better determine your skin elasticity.  Then an informed decision could be made.  We routinely perform both of these procedures in our outpatient surgery center, located adjacent to Good Samaritan Hospital, in San Jose.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Arm Liposuction

+1
Thank you for your question.  It is hard to tell from your photos but it looks like you may be a candidate for liposuction or Vaser Liposelection of your upper arms. It will depend on your skin elasticity as well as how wide the part that is hanging down is compared to its vertical dimension.  That's hard to explain and it will ultimately require a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and preferably also a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Arms can be tricky and need to be done right the first time.  When selecting the surgeon to do your procedure be very careful how you check credentials and training. There are many excellent plastic surgeons near you in the South Bay Area.   It may shock you to know that here in California, ANYONE with an MD after their name may take a weekend course in liposuction, buy the equipment, and start doing procedures in their office on Monday morning.  Some of the worst disasters I have seen have been lipo cases done by non surgeons and in some cases they have not been salvageable.  I hope this is helpful.

Lars Enevoldsen, MD
Modesto Plastic Surgeon

Should I get Liposuction on my arms?

+1
After reviewing your photos-and generally speaking-- this area of the arm can best be tightened with both skin and fat excision. The issue in this location is usually and excess of both skin and fat. Liposuction-although a useful tool to remove and reduce fat---does nothing to tighten and improve the overall shape of the arm. Therefore, the best way to improve this area is brachioplasty.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Smart lipo , great idea

+1
You are the perfect candidate and would get great tightening too. Come in for a consult, as each case has to be individualized.  Best, dr Emer.